Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Personal experience with Obenauf's LP, Huberd's Shoe Grease, or Sno Seal?

  1. #11
    Varsity Member facelessghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    I went ahead and applied Sno Seal last night. It darkened my shoes far more than I could have hoped for:

    Before:


    After one coat on one shoe:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyy4gk5qhmbluyy/Middle.JPG

    After:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mscvo91y2l1ryyt/After.JPG

    Right now I'm quite happy with how they look. We'll see what happens when I wear them.

  2. #12
    Dappered Veteran yoyorobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,836
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Thanks. Just got some Red Wing 877s. I don't understand why the sales dude told me to use mink oil. Everything I've heard about mink oil is that it's bad for boot leather.
    My only RWs are my Heritage Beckman Chukkas. The leather and look is probably different, so this may not be the best advice for your new boots, Duvel, but here's a link to what I've done with mine:

    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post139862

    A very brief summary: RW's *Naturseal* Waterproofing & Conditioner

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,465
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    My only RWs are my Heritage Beckman Chukkas. The leather and look is probably different, so this may not be the best advice for your new boots, Duvel, but here's a link to what I've done with mine:

    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post139862

    A very brief summary: RW's *Naturseal* Waterproofing & Conditioner
    Thanks, yoyo. So is it true that mink oil is bad to use? I can't seem to sort this out--a lot of different opinions on the Inter-web.

    One thing I'm wondering is whether I want to use something, like Obernauf's, that will darken the boot. That sort of takes it away from its iconic look. Or does it?

  4. #14
    Dappered Veteran yoyorobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,836
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Thanks, yoyo. So is it true that mink oil is bad to use? I can't seem to sort this out--a lot of different opinions on the Inter-web.

    One thing I'm wondering is whether I want to use something, like Obernauf's, that will darken the boot. That sort of takes it away from its iconic look. Or does it?
    No problem, man. RE the mink oil: Not totally sure either way. I have used mink oil on certain boots - Clarks Bushacre II in beeswax, being the most recent - and it worked very nicely. It *did* darken them a tad, though.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    I went ahead and applied Sno Seal last night. It darkened my shoes far more than I could have hoped for:

    Before:


    After one coat on one shoe:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyy4gk5qhmbluyy/Middle.JPG

    After:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mscvo91y2l1ryyt/After.JPG

    Right now I'm quite happy with how they look. We'll see what happens when I wear them.
    That is quite a transformation. I don't quite understand how a neutral colored product like SnoSeal is able to give the shoes such a rich deep brown color, but they look great.

  6. #16
    Varsity Member facelessghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Yeah, I was actually surprised at just how brown they turned out. Surprised in a good way.

    I had a chance to wear them yesterday. What I never mentioned earlier is that the whole reason I embarked on this train wreck was that I didn't like how sharply creases in the vamp showed up on the shoe. Basically, the polish I had applied would lighten significantly every time the leather folded, and it left me with something like a tiger stripe look across the ball of the foot. I was hoping that by making the underlying finish more uniform, that wouldn't happen.

    It looks like in that respect, wax was not the way to go. The leather still appears to lighten significantly wherever the shoes crease. Of course, all I have to do is hit them with a brush quickly and the color mostly evens out. I'm not sure if that will change as the wax works its way into the creases over time.

    The other thing I noticed is that they got dirty very easily. I walked into town with my daughters to by lunch, and by the time we got home the shoes had picked up a thin but noticeable coating of dust. I wiped them down with a damp rag and everything was back to normal, but it will be annoying if that happens every time I wear them.

    What I hope is going on is that I'm still working out the excess wax, and the shoes will stay cleaner and more evenly colored after I've worn them a few times. But I guess I'll have to wait and see.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I think the shoes getting dirty should stop once you take the excess wax off the surface of the boot. Best way to do it is to wipe the shoe down with a damp cloth. Using hot water might make it a little easy to take the excess wax off. It should not affect the color the shoes much as most of the product should be absorbed into the leather already.

  8. #18
    Varsity Member VespaMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    What I never mentioned earlier is that the whole reason I embarked on this train wreck was that I didn't like how sharply creases in the vamp showed up on the shoe. Basically, the polish I had applied would lighten significantly every time the leather folded, and it left me with something like a tiger stripe look across the ball of the foot. I was hoping that by making the underlying finish more uniform, that wouldn't happen.
    I think thats a problem of applying too much wax. Put This On recommended recently using calf cream and not having to worry about that, but you will never get a high shine. Maybe Fred will chime in, but I seem to recall on another shoe care thread he recommended using cream all over and then only applying wax on the toe and heel counter.

  9. #19
    Varsity Member facelessghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    So if there's a little too much wax on the shoes, should I just continue wiping the shoes down after wearing and wait for the wax buildup to reduce, or is there something else I should do to clean them?

  10. #20
    Varsity Member VespaMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    For some reason I thought the PTO article was recent, but its actually from 2012:

    http://putthison.com/post/1726856283...ght-a-new-pair

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •