Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this blazer/patch pockets

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

What do you think about this blazer/patch pockets

I am looking for a blazer for a weekend in NYC this late March/early April. I thought this tweed blazer http://i.imgur.com/J6DC5dx.jpg might do the trick but am a bit concerned about the patch pockets breaking up the smoothness of the lines. Thoughts? Also, as for heaviness, will this wool tweed be appropriate for that time of year in NYC, or too much? Thanks!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Patch pockets are great for a more casual sportscoat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    Patch pockets are great for a more casual sportscoat.
    The more I read up on the issue the more I came to this realization. I also came to appreciate that these weren't too billowy. My main concern now is whether tweed will be too heavy a fabric for late March/early April in NYC...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    It probably won't be too heavy a fabric for late March/early April, provided you don't try to layer too much under it. Then again, that's probably the least predictable time of year, weather-wise, so the best advice is just to check the forecast before you pack and be prepared to adjust accordingly.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Tweed is awesome September-March depending on location. September in my neck of the woods has been very very warm so I'm more like mid October-March with my Burberry and Harris tweed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    Tweed is awesome September-March depending on location. September in my neck of the woods has been very very warm so I'm more like mid October-March with my Burberry and Harris tweed.
    Thanks. Also, I didn't include this in the original post, but the suit measurements given on Ebay had the shoulders 0.5 inches bigger than I want them to be (shoulder to shoulder as compared to a suit I own and love). Is this significant in terms of fit?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Don't fret too too much. Shoulder measurements aren't exactly universal. 19" shoulders might fit different brand to brand and fit to fit material to material. buying online is hard to a point. My 18.5" Burberry is different than my 18.5" HSM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    that tweed sport coat looks great! i feel like i rarely see tweed with patch pockets, they normally have flapped ones. wear it with pride, it seems to be a good score.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Do you have a good raincoat, ideally a trenchcoat style to go over this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    No I do not, but I do have an umbrella. I don't think I could pull of a trench. It feels like cosplaying Bogie. My thought was that the tweed could act a bit as outerwear...Any input on the shoulder fit question. It's the one thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger and I have heard conflicting things from different forums...