Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to implement this feature?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

Possible to implement this feature?

Styleforum recently implemented a pretty cool feature which allows you to @ a forum member to basically call them to the thread if they may be interested in something or have an opinion on it or whatever. It seems like people are using it pretty judiciously and to good effect. Is that a functionality that this particular forum platform can provide?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I'm not the site admin but for vBulletin you need to buy ($80) and implement a mod. Neither vB4 or vB5 support user tagging. Styleforum uses Huddler to power the entire site including forums.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    While we're tossing out forum wish lists ...

Increase the # of PMs in your mailbox.
    Allow sellers to edit their original posts in Swap & Shop indefinitely so they can update what has sold without cluttering up the thread.
    It's not too hard to use Flickr, Photobucket, etc, but the ability to directly upload pics at SF is convenient too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Allow sellers to edit their original posts in Swap & Shop indefinitely so they can update what has sold without cluttering up the thread.
    This is a big one.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    @LosRockets -- this is a cool idea.
    @marathon -- is this the mod you mentioned? http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/produ...-user-tagging/
    @Fred G. Unn -- I tripled the number of PMs allowed.

As for the Swap & Shop edit rules, I don't see a way to control those based on the category. They're global settings that apply everywhere, so I don't think we'll be able to do that one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdo View Post
    @LosRockets -- this is a cool idea.
    @marathon -- is this the mod you mentioned? http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/produ...-user-tagging/
    @Fred G. Unn -- I tripled the number of PMs allowed.

As for the Swap & Shop edit rules, I don't see a way to control those based on the category. They're global settings that apply everywhere, so I don't think we'll be able to do that one.
    Yes, the DBT mod.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Why is the global setting for the time to edit a post so limited? One would think you could expand that time frame without running into too many problems.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    Why is the global setting for the time to edit a post so limited? One would think you could expand that time frame without running into too many problems.
    It's 90 minutes right now. What time frame are you proposing?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    It's 90 minutes right now. What time frame are you proposing?
    I'm on a few other forums, and they have no specific time limit. I'm not sure if that's a software thing, but I know I can go back and edit things indefinitely.

How about 24 hours? That's a fairly large window for a majority of posts. That allows us some time to edit dumb things we've said or adjust an item's description if it's for sale. Besides, as an admin/moderator, you can see previous versions of the post anyways, should an actual problem arise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Just came here looking for a way to edit my posts, and at least it's not just me.

But I've never used a forum with vBulletin or any other system that even had a time limit for editing your own posts. Why would anyone want an editing time limit in the first place?