Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmond's Outlet Sale (Seconds) - February 3rd-17th

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Just want to mention that AE shoe trees are on sale as well, for about $15! Seems like a decent price.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Through the shoe bank?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueflame View Post
    Just want to mention that AE shoe trees are on sale as well, for about $15! Seems like a decent price.
    How so?

ScottMehall
    Ended up placing an order for a pair of brown Brooks Strands for $145. Good deal?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    ZCM, if that question was directed at me, then yes (I think). I haven't tried calling a normal retail location or even checked the site today, but when I called the shoebank they told me that shoe trees were about $15, and everything else was 15% off.

Marathon, I'm not sure I understand your question. They normally cost $25 or 2 for $40. I believe Nordstrom brand shoe trees sometimes go on sale below $15, but personally I've never seen it, or a code on Sierra Trading Post that applied to their shoe trees. So for a split toe shoe tree, this seems like a fair price. I'm not certain whether split toe is worth almost double what you would pay with a Jos A Bank sale though, but that's another question.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottMehall View Post
    Ended up placing an order for a pair of brown Brooks Strands for $145. Good deal?
    It's a good deal although the brown is very dark.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Anyone received their current inventory lists? I'm looking for 8.5 or 9E.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfrasier View Post
    Yeah I am interested in finally getting the Dalton boots and would like to know if they are coming down to 199
    Daltons are at $256.

Question for those in the know - are the Daltons included in those 2 for $250 sales? or are those only selected styles? TIA

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pull View Post
    Daltons are at $256.

Question for those in the know - are the Daltons included in those 2 for $250 sales? or are those only selected styles? TIA
    Just closeouts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrown View Post
    I believe Joe has posted about it on the main site on more than one occasion. If I'm not mistaken, there are one or two guys who regularly post here that have it too (Yoyo?)... I think it's a pretty sharp looking shoe. I'm not particularly fond of whole-cut style shoes (the Vernon isn't quite a whole-cut, but close). This is probably the only one I have considered though. I like the subtle perforations on it, to break up the plain leather. It's pretty sleek though. It would be hard to imagine wearing them dressed down, with jeans or chinos for example. So, it depends on what you are looking for.
    You basically nailed every bit of that, sabrown.

I use the Vernons almost exclusively as *my* version of the staple "black cap-toe balmorals/oxfords." I'm not presently interviewing, nor planning/hoping to on any super-intense level (actually I haven't done so in many years), and I don't attend many black-tie or other truly formal events that require a more conservative version of said staple, so these have worked just fine for me in that regard). They don't fit me perfectly - the 8(-108)-last can be a little long and narrow, especially the toe, in my XP - but no AE shoe to this day has fit me just right.

I have worn them more casually before (dark/black-wash denim, sport coat, button-down, etc. IIRC), but as you surmised, they didn't feel *as* right in that scenario as they do with a nice, tailored/trim suit. Not a total failure in that role, just probably not the best choice if you have other options (LWB, etc.).

Truthfully, I have only worn mine a handful of times (once or twice casually, and two or three more times more formally - weddings, dinner/dances). I fear that they may crease across the forefoot area over time due to that near-wholecut style (sometimes the cleaner/clearer that area, the more creases either occur or at least are more noticeable). That said, maybe those perforations across what would be a cap-toe line will help minimize that, or hide some of it, if it does happen.

Seems like they were on-sale recently at AE retail shops (clearance? - maybe a different colorway, dunno), and I'm not up on the current shoebank deal on them, but I got mine at a local Nordy Rack, last year - forget the exact price, but it was really good then and there too. That place is a crap-shoot, though. Don't count on it for a specific shoe make/model in your size on any given day.

*** EDIT - Found a couple pics of the Vernons in action.
    In a more casual getup as described above:
    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5193/imageoelq.jpg

More formally, at a wedding:
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1241/9dqi.jpg
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; February 3rd, 2014 at 03:11 PM.