Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1050 Post(s)
    So yeah. The thread over at PTO got me thinking...

http://putthison.com/post/1589755157...ring-one-of-my

Do I need another lower end watch that won't see a lot of wrist time? No, probably not. But does the idea of having a colourful watch that is completely different from everything else I own sound fun? Definitely.

Anyway. I realize Swatch watches probably don't get a lot of love on this forum, but I thought I'd share the link all the same. Cheers.
    Last edited by DocDave; March 31st, 2017 at 01:07 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    I'm not too big on super colorful watches/swatches. On a beach day or something I will definitely throw on a colorful NATO but prefer for my actual watches to be a bit more subdued.

That said. I have always wanted to get my hands on a rare Seiko Sarb005. Orange isn't really my thing but that dial REALLY comes to life with the depths of colors you get from the sunburst. Here's a photo I keep around because it's so hard to find them now.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    910 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So yeah. The thread over at PTO got me thinking...

http://putthison.com/post/1589755157...ring-one-of-my

Do I need another watch lower end watch that won't see a lot of wrist time? No, probably not. But does the idea of having a colourful watch that is completely different from everything else I own sound fun? Definitely.

Anyway. I realize Swatch watches probably don't get a lot of love on this forum, but I thought I'd share the link all the same. Cheers.
    I've been eyeing a Sistem51 watch for a while, just haven't found the right one that I like and would want to own and wear repeatedly. I like the idea of it, a cheaper mechanical that brings Swiss mechanical horology to the masses in a fun way.

Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1737 Post(s)
    If you find one you like, why not? I haven't seen a Sistem51 watch that moves me enough to purchase, but I definitely get the appeal of owning a cheap, fun watch just because it's cheap and fun. I've got a $50 Seiko SNK807 that I wear on a blue and red NATO strap that fills that sort of niche in my collection.

Ben

Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1737 Post(s)
    I do like this Swatch (quartz, not automatic):

https://www.amazon.com/Swatch-Quartz...eywords=swatch
    Ben

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    I have been thinking about getting a Barbour jacket for about a year now. I tried on some Bedales when I was in London last spring but just couldn't find the right fit. Either good fit but too loose and baggy (I know this is the classic look) or trim but too tight. I really really love the look but started thinking that this jacket wasn't for me. I finally discovered the Ashby and love the fit much better. I'm still on the fence. I love the look but fear buyer's remorse. I live in Atlanta and see this as a perfect jacket for November - March. I really don't ever need anything heavier. I do run hot so I'm a tad concerned about the breathability.

Thoughts? Pros/cons? Do I finally pull the trigger?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a Barbour jacket for about a year now. I tried on some Bedales when I was in London last spring but just couldn't find the right fit. Either good fit but too loose and baggy (I know this is the classic look) or trim but too tight. I really really love the look but started thinking that this jacket wasn't for me. I finally discovered the Ashby and love the fit much better. I'm still on the fence. I love the look but fear buyer's remorse. I live in Atlanta and see this as a perfect jacket for November - March. I really don't ever need anything heavier. I do run hot so I'm a tad concerned about the breathability.

If you like the look then pull the trigger, it's an absolute classic and looks great with almost anything. The main downside is that it's not breathable and if you start to sweat in it, all that moisture is gonna be trapped. I run hot as well, and if I'm going to be doing any sort of physical activity I'm not wearing my Barbour, and if it's above 50 ish F I'm probably not wearing it either.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Have you thought about buying a used one to try it out or buying it from a store with a solid return policy (Nordstrom)? You're reaching the end of the Nov-Mar season so this might be something to put off buying if you're not feeling 100%.

All of my waxed cotton jackets (Barbour and Filson) are far from my most breathable jackets, but they work well enough for the Nov-Mar season here in Seattle and do better on mass transit than a soft-shell.

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I do like this Swatch (quartz, not automatic):

https://www.amazon.com/Swatch-Quartz...eywords=swatch
    That looks AWESOME

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

I live in texas and own a Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker (similar if not a tad lighter than the Barbour). I also run hot so I was a bit concerned when I bought it. I find it useful below 50-60 degrees like most have said. Being from a warm, humid climate similar to yours, we do not layer much here. It is common for the heat to be set at 75 all winter long. I often wear it over a t-shirt on the weekend for this reason.