Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    372 Post(s)

Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Kinda surprised we don't have a thread like this already. Basically a thread where to post potential purchases. On the fence, thinking about it. Toss your idea to the forum for others opinions and gain insight from others.

My personally one Billy Reid bond peacoat. I love the coat the medium should fit amazing judging by measurements. I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection, shoulders fit perfect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection.
    Although the last issue is fixable by a tailor, it seems you answered your own question with the other points you made and just need a little reinforcement. Do you really want to drop that kind of cash for a collar you're not in love with? Just my two cents.

My dilemma: Already purchased the JCF Thompson navy chino jacket a week ago during the 30 percent off sale. Now the pants are available. Should I buy the pants and make it a suit OR use it as I intended (a cotton blazer) and buy the same jacket but in khaki that is now available instead (for a more versatile blazer rotation)?

So one full cotton navy chino suit vs two blazers? or should I bite the bullet and make them both full suits?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    372 Post(s)
    Do you wear suits often? Will you need a summer chino suit wedding, anniversary part, family reunion etc?

I don't wear suits often but I like blazers. Chino cotton blazers wear out fast for me so two in a rotation would 100% extend the life of the blazers. Plus you like the jacket already and you know it fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I like the idea of this thread....

Most recently I purchased the suede double monks that Joe just reviewed. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/1901-lyn...j6_12.DBnEEaCg

I purchased the rust but they are not as sleek as I would like. That is the main reason for wanting to return them but I am unwilling to do so because of the price and the fact that I missed out on the Zara and SuitSupply suede double monks. I don't want to spend more than 150 on a pair of shoes that will get minimal wear in my rotation.

@Lankus...I would say if the fit is spot on and the funds are there bite the bullet. I personally can't fit the JCF thompson because my shoulders are too broad (story of my life) but lots of guys on the forum appear to favor the jcf. If it's affordable and you will get good use of it...go for it!

@Brent K...I'm not familiar with the style or fit but $700 for a peacoat I just can't fathom..my apologies...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    cant say id buy the peacoat. as for the blazer/suit question, i agree that it depends on whether youd get more use out of a suit or blazers...

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    I love this thread. Great idea.

@Brent: 700 for a peacoat is rough. It is a beautiful coat that should last you forever, but it sounds like you may have something that is quite durable with your USGI peacoat. If it is anything like mine it isn't about to poop out anytime soon.

@Lankus: Do you have a summer suit? I would say complete the suit. Two reasons: personally, I would wear a navy much more than khaki. The navy pants and blazer can work easily on their own. T

@jmp: If you don't like the shoes take them back. Its not even spring yet. I would guess there will be other versions of that shoe popping up in the next few months.

Now on to my question!

I am also looking at the JCF summer suits. I am looking at the cotton cord option. I don't have a summer suit (actually only have 1 suit that I like to wear, navy). I do wear blazers fairly often, so I like that it could double as a blazer. I was on the fence about a summer suit (Oxford or chino) on final sale at jcrew for roughly the same price but I wanted to try it on before I committed. None of the Jcrews near me had any of them. So I am leaning towards the risk free purchase of the cotton cord (free shipping and a JCF not that far from me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've got one: BR Navy Mac Jacket. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932521002

So I missed out on Uniqlo's (not-actually-a) Chesterfield in navy, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I don't wear suits often, so the slightly more casual look of a Mac is just fine by me. I also don't have any navy outerwear at all, but this seems maybe a bit much for cotton/poly. However, at 40% off, it's a bit more palatable. What do you gents think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipndavis View Post
    I've got one: BR Navy Mac Jacket. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932521002

So I missed out on Uniqlo's (not-actually-a) Chesterfield in navy, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I don't wear suits often, so the slightly more casual look of a Mac is just fine by me. I also don't have any navy outerwear at all, but this seems maybe a bit much for cotton/poly. However, at 40% off, it's a bit more palatable. What do you gents think?
    Man, I love that coat too. I'll be buying it with the 40% off if it makes you feel any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    After months of back and forth in my head, I finally broke down and bought the AE Strands in Bourbon. Part of my waffling was that I knew I would need (as I have for a long time) a new dress belt to go with it. I am not keen on the idea of dropping $115 for the Manistee belt and the more palatable Dearborn belt I cannot find in my waist size. That being said, I am kind of hard to please in the sense that "close enough" in color will bother me. So basically, should I or shouldn't I buy the Manistee belt? And if anyone has any personal experiences with other, cheaper, belts matching that color, I would be more than happy to entertain those as well.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    Brent - make sure you try it on first. I really wanted that pea coat too but when I tried it on I was in between sizes so that made me get over it pretty quick. Same thing happened to me when I stopped by the Burberry store and tried on their classic trench. Once I tried it on and realized the fit wasn't so great for me, I had no more desire for it.