Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipndavis View Post
    I've got one: BR Navy Mac Jacket. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932521002

So I missed out on Uniqlo's (not-actually-a) Chesterfield in navy, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I don't wear suits often, so the slightly more casual look of a Mac is just fine by me. I also don't have any navy outerwear at all, but this seems maybe a bit much for cotton/poly. However, at 40% off, it's a bit more palatable. What do you gents think?
    Tried that BR Mac on in store. It's not bad, but it's pretty boxy. I suppose macs are inherently a bit shapeless however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    Tried that BR Mac on in store. It's not bad, but it's pretty boxy. I suppose macs are inherently a bit shapeless however.
    That's good feedback. I'd assume that the more traditional topcoat has more of a contoured shape. Of course, finding a navy topcoat (at a reasonable price) hasn't revealed many options. I like these two specifically because of their value (Uniqlo moreso), and their weight (I'm a fairly good-sized guy, and I don't want a heavy wool/whatever coat). I like to layer. I'd be much more likely to layer either of these coats on top of a shirt/sweater combo than a suit.

I really wish I'd grabbed the Uniqlo. Anyone have an XL navy they'd like to part with?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Probably will take my sterlingwear coat and have it nipped in the waist. I just can't justify spending $695 on a blended wool peacoat. I have read on other forums about the fabric pilling easliy.

I love my peacoat but the collar just is massive on the USGI coats. I get a good amount of compliments on it.

Thanks guys no need on spending the huge sum of cash.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Great thread!

I've been considering the Orvis soft-top Harrington as a cheaper alternative to a new Baracuta. Is anyone familiar with the quality and the fit? Thanks.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    @duvel

I'm not familiar with the orvis jacket. I did have a baracuta and loved it. Sold it when I lost weight. Fit and finish can't be beat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I'm considering some Grant wool trousers and Kennedy dress chinos from Club Monaco. Anyone know what their quality is like, or how sizing for that brand works? I have yet to buy anything from there, so I don't know how much I should size down, if at all. For comparison I'm a 31 waist in BR and Jcrew.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Thanks, Brent. I'm torn between saving up for a new Baracuta or trying the Orvis. I've heard that Orvis stuff is built for beefier guys, and I'm not beefy. Still, the jacket looks good online. Just too bad they don't show it on a model.

I think this thread needs to be made a sticky, by the way.
    Last edited by Duvel; January 24th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Thanks, Brent. I'm torn between saving up for a new Baracuta or trying the Orvis.
    I was the same way. Was able to try the Baracuta (had to size up strangely). Ended up ordering the Orvis because I wanted a darker navy than Baracuta offers. Suspect the fit won't compare, but I'll have an extra $100 for each of the pockets.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Ok, fellow Dappered posters:

http://www.bonobos.com/blazers-sport...y-the-bradford

I've got a "share us on FB and save 40% off sale items" link. That brings the Bradford down to about $215 shipped, and they have my size. I do not own a navy blazer- but will the super 160s wool wear out super fast?
    --

I'm here mostly to keep my mouth shut and learn a thing or two.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Maybe not super fast, but it's definitely going to wear more quickly than you'd probably like. Especially if you use it as a regular staple of your wardrobe.