Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    The Billy Reid Peacoat is also on my list of items that I am interested in. Although, I already have a semi-decent peacoat. It'll probably one of the last of items in my wardrobe that gets upgraded, but it sure does look great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    Kinda surprised we don't have a thread like this already. Basically a thread where to post potential purchases. On the fence, thinking about it. Toss your idea to the forum for others opinions and gain insight from others.

My personally one Billy Reid bond peacoat. I love the coat the medium should fit amazing judging by measurements. I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection, shoulders fit perfect.
    I happened to pick one up during a 20% off sale in October. I'm a 42R, 6'2, 190-195, athletic build, and my large fits perfectly OTR. I have zero regrets about the purchase, but to be fair, I also didn't already have a peacoat. The craftsmanship and detailing justify the price, in my opinion, and the customer service was great.

A note of warning, the old Bond peacoats (navy) were 100% wool and the current ones are a mixture (80/20, wool/nylon). After 3 months, I have no complaints about the fabric. It's been in snow, light rain and still looks fantastic.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    @Brent: I wouldn't buy the peacoat, it's redundant and it sounds like you don't like everything about it. Also, do you wear the peacoat you have often? If not, then that's another strike. I don't know your income, but if i'm dropping $300+ on something that isn't a suit, then it's gotta be high quality, I have to absolutely love it, and I have to wear the hell out of it.

@Lankus: This depends on what you'd get more use out of. I'm kind of frugal so i'd actually just stick with the navy sportcoat if you already have a navy suit. I don't see the khaki sportcoat getting much wear since it's a very light color, I think a darker more tobacco khaki might get more wear. Again though, if it works with your wardrobe and complexion, get it.

@jmp: I would return them. You don't like them and you said that they would get minimal wear in your rotation anyways.

@phillip: Not sure about that one, I think I would rather hold off for something more like the chesterfield

@yoder: If you have time I would monitor ebay to see if you can catch a deal on one of those belts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Well, this is a good thread, I guess. I mentioned over in deals that this grey Ludlow sportcoat is $125-$147 on sale. I don't know about the elbow patches. Don't you need an over-under and a beard and a dog?

You know, like this guy?
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...a6c7o1_500.jpg

I'd rather wait for a grey tweed or herringbone with no elbow patches, since I think the elbow patches are inherently more casual.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lankus View Post
    My dilemma: Already purchased the JCF Thompson navy chino jacket a week ago during the 30 percent off sale. Now the pants are available. Should I buy the pants and make it a suit OR use it as I intended (a cotton blazer) and buy the same jacket but in khaki that is now available instead (for a more versatile blazer rotation)?
    I have owned the coat for a while and then bought the pants. It works great as a Spring/Summer suit. I say make it a suit.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    Well, this is a good thread, I guess. I mentioned over in deals that this grey Ludlow sportcoat is $125-$147 on sale. I don't know about the elbow patches. Don't you need an over-under and a beard and a dog?

You know, like this guy?
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...a6c7o1_500.jpg

I'd rather wait for a grey tweed or herringbone with no elbow patches, since I think the elbow patches are inherently more casual.
    This is probably the perfect case of considering a purchase just because it's on sale, rather than waiting for what you actually want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    But that's a side by side shotgun.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    But that's a side by side shotgun.
    Yeah, it's a Charles Parker 1878 SxS, but for illustration purposes only.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    My personally one Billy Reid bond peacoat. I love the coat the medium should fit amazing judging by measurements. I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection, shoulders fit perfect.
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but I think things Brent doesn't like about the peacoat are about his current Sterlingwear one, not the Billy Reid one. Is that correct, Brett?

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Great thread!

I've been considering the Orvis soft-top Harrington as a cheaper alternative to a new Baracuta. Is anyone familiar with the quality and the fit? Thanks.