Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dollar Shave Club

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I'm a clone of bjmcgeever: only shave about 2x/week, and have ordered the 3-blade razors from DSC for almost a year. I've been quite happy, because (1) the cartridge packs cost about half what I was paying at paces like CVS/Walgreens/Target and (2) DSC is always prompt with delivery, so there's some added convenience. I'm no expert, but the quality has certainly been good enough for me.

I'd definitely recommend them if you're shelling out dough for the way marked-up stuff. I've never gone the safety-razor route, though, so for all I know that's best and I'm a chump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I am a safety razor convert, too, and I highly recommend it. However, there is a real learning curve. Proper technique is important; you can't just scrub away like you can with cartridges. You'll rip your face off.

That said, the learning process is fun in itself, and once you get it, it's great. If you decide to try it, peruse some Youtube videos and check out the Badger and Blade forum for guidance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    For all you straight razor guys, would you suggest starting out with a less aggressive razor to learn on first? I am no stranger to shaving and cuts, but have no idea what I'm in for with a safety razor. So I guess I'm asking for recommendations for the best safety razor for someone that has never used one before.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    For all you straight razor guys, would you suggest starting out with a less aggressive razor to learn on first? I am no stranger to shaving and cuts, but have no idea what I'm in for with a safety razor. So I guess I'm asking for recommendations for the best safety razor for someone that has never used one before.
    When you say straight razor, are you referring to the old school barber "Sweeney Todd"-type razors? Or the double edge safety razors? There is a major difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Totally an error. Double edge safety razor is what I am looking for.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I have now been using my safety razor for about a year. I didn't find it a tough transition. Get some sharp blades (Feather) and learn to not press down when you shave. I've only cut myself a couple times, and it is a better, cheaper shave. I got a big pack of feather blades for about $16-20 over a year ago and still have half of them. In the long run, it has been much, much cheaper for me.

I have a Merkur handle, and was given a gift pack from the art of shaving (usually overpriced, but the badger brush is actually pretty nice). Find the products you like and avoid shave products with alcohol.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Double edge safety razor is what I am looking for.
    Ok, cool. First, a few thoughts:

If you’re looking for a *faster* shave, a safety razor is not for you. Stick with your Mach 3.

1. Once you get the process down, it shouldn’t take you more than 10 minutes.
    2. With that being said, you should take your time and enjoy it as a relaxing experience.

If you’re looking for a *cheaper* shave, using a safety razor will be cheaper in the long run.

1. Keep in mind, the initial investment is more than a traditional disposable kit.
    2. A quality handle, pack of blades, and some lather can run $40 minimum.
    3. Replacement blades run $2/pack of 5 to $10/pack of 20, depending on brand or type.

If you’re looking for a *better* shave, I think you’ll be happier using a safety razor.

1. Take your time, go slow.
    2. Use lots of lather/soap.
    3. Wash the blade frequently.
    4. Go WITH the grain, not against it. Less irritation..

To get started, you’ll need a few things. This is what I started with/recommend:

Razor – Merkur #34C Heavy Duty. (LINK).

1. Built like a tank, relatively inexpensive, easy to use.

Blades – Try a sample pack to see which blades you like. (LINK).

1. Some will be normal (Wilkinson, Merkur), and some will be stupidly sharp (Feather).
    2. Obviously, go easy with the sharper blades.

Lather – You can use normal shaving gel/crème, or you can try something different.

1. For a lighter glycerin soap, Colonel Conk’s Bay Rum smells great. (LINK).
    2. For a heavier shaving crème, Proraso’s eucaplytus crème is heavenly. (LINK).

Lathering Brush (optional) – A lathering brush is used to evenly apply warm lather to your face.

1. For the classic badger hair bristle brush, I like this Parker one. (LINK).
    2. If you would prefer to use a synthetic brush, this one from Parker looks nice. (LINK).

Stand (optional) – Used to hang your razor and brush from. (LINK).

1. A lathering brush needs to be dried upside down after being washed.
    2. This one is inexpensive and chromed. Holds a razor and brush well.
    Last edited by mcadamsandwich; January 13th, 2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: weird formatting from Word..

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Seconding pretty much everything mcadamsandwich said. I actually have that exact stand, too, and like it a lot. One thing I may add is that you may want to consider Merkur's longer handle razor--depends on how you hold / personal preference, but I like the longer handle vs. the stubbier 34c (I think it's the 180, but could be wrong). Also, I'm a pretty big fan of Jack Black's shave cream ( https://themotley.com/index.php/shav...ve-lather.html ) for use with brush / safety razor.

Took me a bit to get used to it, and I'm rocking a bit of a beard currently, but I wouldn't go back to a Mach5 or whatever now that I've learned to shave w a safety.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    A lot of people sing the praises of the double-edged safety razor, but keep in mind, your mileage may vary.

I used a safety razor for six or nine months, tried with a variety of different shave creams, with and without badger brush, with and without hot towel prep, a variety of different blade brands, and frankly, I never really got a great shave from it. I thought I'd finally gotten it down pretty well, then as chance happened, I was traveling and ended up having to make do with a disposable razor and regular bar soap. I got the best shave I'd had in nearly a year. Needless to say, I'm pretty well disillusioned with safety razors after that. I've gone back to the cheapest cartridge-style razors I can find and haven't had any issues with the quality of shave I get.

Safety razors obviously work great for some folks but they aren't necessarily the best choice for everyone.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    A lot of people sing the praises of the double-edged safety razor, but keep in mind, your mileage may vary.

I used a safety razor for six or nine months, tried with a variety of different shave creams, with and without badger brush, with and without hot towel prep, a variety of different blade brands, and frankly, I never really got a great shave from it. I thought I'd finally gotten it down pretty well, then as chance happened, I was traveling and ended up having to make do with a disposable razor and regular bar soap. I got the best shave I'd had in nearly a year. Needless to say, I'm pretty well disillusioned with safety razors after that. I've gone back to the cheapest cartridge-style razors I can find and haven't had any issues with the quality of shave I get.

Safety razors obviously work great for some folks but they aren't necessarily the best choice for everyone.
    To comment on your response-I found I was able to get a closer shave with the Mach 17, but I have less irritation from the safety razor. The only area that differed, was on my neck right at the jaw line. I can't get it perfectly smooth with the safety. With the Mach 24blades, My entire neck would look like it was on week 2 of puberty.