Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Chino/Khaki for Semi-daily Use?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Tough Chino/Khaki for Semi-daily Use?

Hey, guys.

I work in tech on the West Coast, but not for one of the big name companies, so the dress standard is pretty low. That being said, I'm trying to improve my own standard above the daily jean look that I've been rocking for over three years now. I use to have a pair of chino's that I would wear often to mix it up, but they lasted less than a year. It seems like there are a lot of brands out there that people swear by, so do any you have strong recommendations on a pair of tough chinos/khakis that withstand semi-daily use?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sojo2600; January 10th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    What didn't last on them? I like my Dockers. Sometimes people say, "Oh, I love my jeans, I used to wear them all the time, but only lasted a little over a year." Of course, if we wear our favorite clothes more often, they're more likely to wear out. Nothing lasts forever. You can get your chinos to last longer by washing them on a gentle cycle in cold water and tumbling dry on a lower heat (or hanging them out/laying them flat to dry if you have the time). Also, if they're fraying at the hem, make sure they're the right length.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Ive always had good luck with Gap khakis. Whatever you get, buy a few pairs to rotate wearing, so you dont burn through them and they should last ya.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    What didn't last on them? I like my Dockers. Sometimes people say, "Oh, I love my jeans, I used to wear them all the time, but only lasted a little over a year." Of course, if we wear our favorite clothes more often, they're more likely to wear out. Nothing lasts forever. You can get your chinos to last longer by washing them on a gentle cycle in cold water and tumbling dry on a lower heat (or hanging them out/laying them flat to dry if you have the time). Also, if they're fraying at the hem, make sure they're the right length.
    They wore out in the knees. I think its because I rest one leg on the other knee pretty often. I don't expect clothes to last forever, but whatever brand I had felt like it was pretty cheap and didn't last nearly long enough. The cleaning tip is very helpful, thanks!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    If you are on a budget or just want to see how a pair is, you can also usually find them for dirt cheap on ebay in many sizes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Ive always had good luck with Gap khakis. Whatever you get, buy a few pairs to rotate wearing, so you dont burn through them and they should last ya.
    Going the multiple pants of GAP route could make sense since they are generally more affordable then the bonobos and Uni's. Looks like they have sale on khakis going for about $35/piece. I could grab a few shades at that rate.

EDIT: Actually, Dockers has a similar deal. Tough choices, haha.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    http://m.nordstrom.com/Product/Detai...ch%20Relevance

I have 3 pairs of these and have used them pretty much every work day for the past 3 years. They still look new with no sign of wear. They are much tougher than gap pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.landsend.com/products/men...14?sku_0=::LHB

These are made of a crazy thick cotton twill - it almost feels like a heavy canvass. The fit is very good, though I would consider sizing one inch up from your normal waste size. These feel like wearing armour and if your concern is wearing out knees then these might be what you're looking for. But the thickness means they are very, very warm.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post
    http://m.nordstrom.com/Product/Detai...ch%20Relevance

I have 3 pairs of these and have used them pretty much every work day for the past 3 years. They still look new with no sign of wear. They are much tougher than gap pants.
    Nice! Unfortunately Nordstrom is sold out on my size, but maybe I'll have more luck in stores.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clp View Post
    http://www.landsend.com/products/men...14?sku_0=::LHB

These are made of a crazy thick cotton twill - it almost feels like a heavy canvass. The fit is very good, though I would consider sizing one inch up from your normal waste size. These feel like wearing armour and if your concern is wearing out knees then these might be what you're looking for. But the thickness means they are very, very warm.
    Those look pretty appealing, though I wish the khaki color was also on sale. I might give one of the other colors a try though, assuming Land's End has a good return policy.