Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Chino/Khaki for Semi-daily Use?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, I have some that I've tried from Old Navy and they have been fine for the price. They were around $20 on sale if I remember right. They're thin, and they probably won't last long, but I'm definitely getting enough wears out of them. The biggest downside: those things wrinkle like nothing I've ever seen before! Prepare to iron before each wear.

I recommend buying one or two pairs of nicer quality that will last years. (My Brooks Brothers chinos look pretty new, 1.5+ years later.) Get these in a shade that matches most of your wardrobe and that you can wear often. I find that I wear darker shades more. Then grab a cheaper pair or two so that you have those as an option as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    For what it's worth, I have some that I've tried from Old Navy and they have been fine for the price. They were around $20 on sale if I remember right. They're thin, and they probably won't last long, but I'm definitely getting enough wears out of them. The biggest downside: those things wrinkle like nothing I've ever seen before! Prepare to iron before each wear.

I recommend buying one or two pairs of nicer quality that will last years. (My Brooks Brothers chinos look pretty new, 1.5+ years later.) Get these in a shade that matches most of your wardrobe and that you can wear often. I find that I wear darker shades more. Then grab a cheaper pair or two so that you have those as an option as well.
    I think I'm done with disposable clothing. With the exception of socks and underwear, I never throw out old clothes. Instead I pack it up and drop it off at the nearest thrift shop. Unfortunately this is a low priority trip for me, so I tend to hold onto old clothing for far too long. I'd rather just have a few good pieces than a lot of mediocre ones. Thanks for the tips on the Brooks Brothers, looks like they have a sale right now as well.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    Since you are very casual I'll recommend the dockers alpha khaki. Rugged and wear like jeans.

Also the dockers modern khaki for chinos from JCP

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I'll third(?) the Alphas, so long as you are cool with the (usual) tighter fit/look of them (compared to more traditional chinos, that is). Since Nordy seems to be out of your size, you may wish to check some discounters like Marshalls, TJMaxx, Ross, etc. as I found mine there for $20 a pop. It's always hit&miss there, but if you have a few locations nearby, it might be worth a visit.

Oh, and if you're wearing the knee out of your pants simply from the way you're sitting, you may wish to try to consciously switch that up a bit from time to time; it can wreak havoc on you physically. I know this from doing so myself and visiting a chiropractor every now and then because of it.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I like Bill's Khakis, M3 fit: http://www.billskhakis.com/
    "Stout" and "Granite" colors are on sale right now ($57.50 off): http://www.billskhakis.com/m3-trim-f...it-Plain-Front

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check out llbean double l chinos. Google and you will find high.praise for a sub $50 chino

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifew.../075312-07-046
    http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifew.../088208-69-044

uniqlo's vintage chino is the standard-bearer for inexpensive casual chinos. fit is slim-straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    ^Agreed. I have the khaki color vintage chinos from Uniqlo and really like them. They're a really heavy weight and I think they're going to last. I really like the fit, it's perfect for me. I was hoping they have a sale soon so I can pick up the brown and olive color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How do you wear your knees out sitting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sojo2600 View Post
    Those look pretty appealing, though I wish the khaki color was also on sale. I might give one of the other colors a try though, assuming Land's End has a good return policy.
    You can't beat the return policy for Lands' End. They take back anything for just about any reason. One thing to note. These can marble. My first pair did and I went in and exchanged them. I have a pair in Umber and a pair in Auburn. I really like them, there's just the "marbling" problem.
    *Also, as has been mentioned. These are very stiff/crisp. They are stiffer than any other pants I've ever owned. They can probably stand up by themselves after a wash.

Out of my khakis I probably wear my Dockers the most. Chinos, either Dockers, Banana Republic, or LEC. All three you can find on sale fairly regularly.