Thread: Alfani dress shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alfani dress shirts

I'm a little confused by the Alfani dress shirt line and was hoping someone here could help me. There seems to be Alfani slim-fit, Alfani RED fitted, and spectrum trim-fit. I am really struggling to find information on which is the slimmest fit. I am struggling to find a white dress shirt that fits my neck and shoulders without having a lot of excess fabric around my abdomen (I'm 6'2", 175 lbs, 15.5 34/35). I can't believe how hard it is to find a shirt that fits me well!

I ended up buying the Alfani RED fitted textured dress shirt (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/a...8%26slotId%3D2) and it's one of the best fitting shirts I've tried on yet, but it's still got a bit of extra bulk around my abdomen. It's 70 cotton/30 poly (please don't shoot me!) so I don't think it'll shrink much in the dryer (right?). At this point I'm contemplating returning it, but I like the shirt's look, feel, and fit in neck and shoulders.

Does anyone own this shirt who could tell me their experience with how it wears, pilling, shrinkage, etc? Alternatively, can anyone recommend an affordable, slimmer dress shirt? Thanks so much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Try Express 1MX shirts in slim/extra slim, whatever they call it that is slimmer than their Fitted line. They are darted in the back, which helps. You could also buy a 100% cotton shirt and have a tailor take it in at the sides and/or dart it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Marathon, we meet again! I did try the 1MX extra slim large on, and it was GREAT but the neck was too loose. Bummer.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I stand by the 1MX shirts from Express. They say line dry on them but if you throw them in the dryer the collar does shrink on them (I found out the hard way) Perhaps the large will fit in the neck if you throw these in the dryer?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I've had to take in the sides of almost any OTR dress shirt. If I know I'll be wearing the shirt with a suit all day, it won't really matter. But I've taken in almost all of my casual button-downs, with the exception of Brooks Brothers Extra Slim (got on sale) and Hugo Boss Slim fit. But taking in is pretty cheap, anywhere from $7-$15. The price is worth it; while everyone else is mushrooming at the sides, you look fit and proper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have the following suggestions: If the Express 1MX extra slim fit is too big in the neck, try the 1MX modern fit one size down, in the medium. By sizing down, it will give you the same fit around the chest and waist as the large extra slim fit, but the neck should be slightly more snug. the only thing is that the length of the medium modern fit will be shorter than the extra slim fit, and more prone for the shirt to come untucked during the day. I have also had good experience with b Republic stretch slim fit shirts. The only complaint I have with these stretch shirts is that after having them washed and pressed by my cleaner, they will eventually stretch a bit and look less tailored than they looked when new. If you are looking for nonstretch shirts, i really like J Crew slim fit shirts. Maybe not quite as fitted as the 1MX or BR, but very close in fit, and the slight extra fabric is needed to allow for movement, given the don't have the stretch material in them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Try a 1901 Slim from Nordstrom. I recently picked one up and it's virtually perfect for me at 6' & 150-155lbs. In 15.5 34/35 the chest measured at 21", slimmest part of waist 18-18.25. I've got fairly long arms, and the arm holes are so high that the 34/35 verges on too short when moving my arms up. Decent fabric and construction, especially at the 50% off sale prices right now.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Perfect-fitting shirt from MTM online = $90-$125. Good enough shirt = $20-$30. Good enough + $15 tailoring = $40 perfect shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your responses everyone, I really appreciate it!