Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #13. Store Wars 2014: J. Crew Factory unseats J. Crew

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

#13. Store Wars 2014: J. Crew Factory unseats J. Crew

I'm scratching my head over this prediction (from the Dappered front page) for a couple of reasons. One, how is the Factory's vastly inferior line ever going to supplant the real thing by the regular J. Crew retail line. The Factory stuff is a pale imitation at best. Two, that comparison of Factory to J. Crew being like GAP to Banana Republic: Huh? J. Crew Factory is to J. Crew as GAP outlet is to GAP and Banana Republic outlet is to Banana Republic. J. Crew Factory is an outlet store.

Or am I missing something?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Agree, they're in different categories. The Store Wars thing has eBay and Goodwill in different brackets, even though they fill the same purpose. Likewise Outlet stores (like JCF) and discount retailers (like Target) serve a different purpose (that is, stylish but inexpensive) than stores like Banana Republic or J Crew (higher end).

Also, why not 14 predictions for 2014? I mean really!

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Good point on the 14 for '14.

As for Goodwill and eBay, not sure. Seems to me they are different, with eBay offering a wide assortment in kind and quality and with Goodwill offering a lot of junk (it seems to me).

But yes, putting J. Crew Factory in with GAP is simply incorrect.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    BR, Gap, and Old Navy are all owned by the same company. Similar to how JCF is owned by J Crew. Let's be honest, BR Factory is pretty craptastic. Occasionally you'll find something decent in there but the suits there are a totally different cut and fit than the mainline store and a majority of the items in there are synthetic blends. So I don't blame Joe for using Gap as a junior BR rather than the BR factory store.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    It's not an outlet store, it's a different line entirely, you won't see JCrew closeouts in Jcrew factory. I don't know that the parallel between Banana republic and Gap is accurate either. I mean yes It's a similar concept with different brands under the sam parent company serving different Demos, and to compare J Crew and BR seems reasonable, but I don't think Gap and JCF really compare directly. Seems to me that JCF is really very siilar style to J Crew just in less expensive materials, so it's for people who want JCrew at a cheaper price, whereas Gap is a significantly more casual style than BR, aimed at a younger demo, not just a cheaper one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Outlet stores normally don't carry close-outs or clearance. I have never seen close-outs or clearance items in a Gap or Banana outlet store. It's an outlet store because it is an inferior second line J. Crew store. Like Banana and Gap outlet stores, it uses the retail name but carries an entirely different line of clothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I am a huge J Crew fan--J Crew Factory? Not so much. I won't buy anything from there. I bought a shirt once and it ripped after two wears and just felt cheap. I understand the price point is better but for me, personally, it will never topple the J Crew main line.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    The only thing I buy at Factory is tee shirts. They're decent, and I only buy them because my wife, for some reason, likes to go to the Factory store occasionally.

I bought their knockoff of the pink chambray and am sorry I did. While I can't find a lot difference in the fit of the shirts between Factory and regular J. Crew, the thing that makes them cheap looking is the quality of the materials. They also skimp on details that make the regular store items more distinctive--things like how the chambray shirts from the regular store have the cool hidden button holes but the Factory ones don't, or the kind of stitching used, and so on.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    JCrew prices are expensive for me so the only time I shop there is during sales. JCF is much more reasonable priced which is why I think it will unseat JCrew in store wars. I own plenty of their button up shirts and have not had any issues with them at all. Same goes for jeans and corduroys I've bought from JCF. I'm sure JCrew has better materials and details but is it worth 2-3 times the price? As long as they're using 100% cotton or wool and not synthetics, I'm perfectly content with JCF.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    I occassionally pay full retail at J. Crew. Some things never go on sale, or if it's something I want badly enough, I'll spring for it. I've learned that sometimes waiting for a sale means missing out on it because my size runs out or something.

Otherwise most of my J. Crew purchases are at some kind of sale price.

All in all, I figure if I'm going to spend any money on clothes, I'd rather spend a little more. If that means buying fewer items or maybe nothing at all for a while, I'd rather do that than spend anything for outlet items. But then again, I am a J. Crew snob.

I had it really good while I was living in Asheville. Not only was there a great regular retail shop in town but there was also a CLEARANCE store just outside of town. Not a factory store but an honest-to-god clearance store. It was a mix of factory and regular retail items hugely marked down, along with occasional "sample" garment. I got really great deals there--my bayswater peacoat was about $40, my fireman's jacket was about $50, a navy Ludlow blazer for around $60, and a lot of other things. If you get down that way, check it out. There are only about 2 or 3 of these stores in the whole country.