Thread: Classic looks and iconic sportswear for the gym?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Classic looks and iconic sportswear for the gym?

Dear Sirs (and the occasional Lady)

This is my first post here. I have a style question and as a loyal follower of Dappered.com, I thought this would be the perfect place to ask.

Recently I have been looking to improve my training wardrobe, and I could really use some inspiration.

Until know I have subscribed to the "I work out in order to look good after, not during, training" school of thought but I am beginning to change that.
    I would like to look elegant while lifting weights, so I am looking for classic and iconic items (old and modern) á la the Adidas Gazelle. I am leaning towards the white sports, European look. As it is, I usually work out in some combination of tennis shorts, chukkas, t-shirts, polos, tennis shoes and similar, but I would love to make a conscious choices and sport a more complete look.

I work out in a gym with weights (and kettlebells), a bit of interval training (stationary biking mostly) and I am going back to playing tennis this spring, so while the clothes need to be functional, I have no use for "Technical" wear as such.

Can you help me with some suggestions for appropriate, stylish gym wear? I live in Denmark, so it is much easier and cheaper for me to buy within the EU.

Thank you very much; I am looking forward to meet you all and participate in the discussions to come.

Sincerely
    Alexander

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I like the Classic Adidas track jacket with matching pants in dark blue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058X...&pi=SY200_QL40

It is warm and has multiple uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you both for the links. I came across the GQ one, but dismissed it, as the looks they promote are a bit too modern for what I was going for.

My budget, as always, is to do it as inexpensively as possible, as the clothes will see lots of wear, but that being said, I am willing to spend more for the right item and do it right the first time. High price brands like Gucci, Prada etc. are out, but Fred Perry, Hilfiger, Boss, etc. are acceptable. Ideally the clothes I wear in the gym should be acceptable on the street as well, even though it will not be used that way. I would like to pretend that my rather cheap, mainstream gym is an upscale sports club and dress accordingly.

I realise that this might sound silly to many, and I usually make an effort to dress appropriately, but I am not willing to sport the looks I see in my gym (under armour shirts, cargo pants, hip hop clothes, caps etc.)

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    If you can't do it like Bond does in the Skyfall workout scenes, just don't do it at all.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    It's the gym. Don't stink but don't add cologne. Don't look like you just rolled out of bed but don't look like you just flew to the gym in a private jet.

It's the gym function is key. Good running sneakers based on your foot and how you run. Solid colored knee length shorts. I like to wear under armour type blend shirts from UA or 5.11. I run 5k's so those entry shirts fit the bill.

Please do no wear a matching track suit....unless you are in the mob and are also working out with your gold watch and pinky rings. Google images and you will see what I mean.

And please if it is crappy out please do not wear your gym shoes out in the muck and slush just to track it all over the gym.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    One of the most important parts of looking stylish is understanding appropriate attire for a given context. For example, you wouldn't wear a tuxedo to a coffee date, a pair of swim trunks to a job interview, or a v-neck t-shirt and jeans to the symphony. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with tuxedos, swim trunks, v-necks, or jeans. It just means you have to use your discretion and judgment in figuring out what to wear and when to wear it.

Appropriate gym attire should be comfortable and functional. Certain cuts, styles, materials, and colors may be more or less flattering, but that's about as much thought as you should really give to your gym "style." Wearing stuff like chukkas and polos to lift weights might just look pretentious, like you don't know whether you're there to work out or try to show off your clothes.

Personally, I just wear a slightly loose-fitting t-shirt, cheap cotton sweatpants, and a pair of Converse Chucks when I lift weights. I don't necessarily fit in with my gym's unspoken dress code of muscle shirts, baggy basketball shorts, and bright-colored, tech-y sneakers, but my clothes are comfortable, functional, and appropriate for the situation.

That's just my $.02. If I were you, I'd save my money and effort for clothes you can wear in contexts where deliberately looking "stylish" is more acceptable and important than a utilitarian context like the gym.
    Ben

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I will say flashy running sneakers do serve a purpose for running out side at night due to the high visabilty.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I wear bright-ish blue running sneakers, baggy basketball shorts, and a loose fitting cotton or C9 tee to lift (yes, Chucks would be better for lifting, and yes, many of those tees are from college or freebies from other places) and when I run I swap the basketball shorts for running shorts (so, above the knee, 8" i think).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    My rules for the gym:

1. Try not to look like a complete bum, but leave the tennis sweater at home.

2. Leave your cell phone in the car / a locker. Only toolbags talk on their cell between / during sets.

3. If you're not sweating, or exerting any effort (i.e. reading a book while slowly pacing on the elliptical) just stay home. You're not doing yourself any good, and you're using up a machine that could be better used by someone else.

4. Rack your weights. Especially if you lift ridiculously heavy. This probably won't apply to our local army of midget ectomorphs

5. For the love of God, please do not make that "Tsssssssssssssssssssssst!!!!!" sound when cranking out a heavy rep.