Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate? Pea coat buttoning and collar up or down.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

Debate? Pea coat buttoning and collar up or down.

I can't believe how many guys I see wearing the pea coat wrong--at least what to me looks wrong. And that is all the buttons buttoned, including the bottom and the top, and the collar down, not popped. I'm also seeing some boxy cuts and too-long lengths.

In my opinion, unless the weather is extremely cold, the bottom button is always left unbuttoned. And generally, again depending on conditions, you get a more relaxed, less uptight look by leaving that top button undone. (I'm talking about the main buttons in the middle of the coat, not around the collar or at the neck.)

And I think it just looks nerdy not to pop the collar. I would never pop a shirt collar, polo collar, etc., but some outerwear is just made to be popped, such as the pea coat and the trench coat. There is just so much more of a cool factor going on with that.

Thoughts? Is this even open for debate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I think it is completely up to the individual as to how they wear their peacoat. There are things that shouldn't be wrong, such as fit (one should have a peacoat that fits) - but there are things that are completely preferential like collar, length, etc. I know J.Crew has the Bayswater, which is a shorter, more classic fit, and they also have the Dock, which is a slimmer, longer coat. Both look good IMO, it just depends on what the wearer is looking for in their coat. Personally, i'll forever wear my peacoat collar up, and being a taller guy, I like a little bit of length on the body of the coat, too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmmk View Post
    I think it is completely up to the individual as to how they wear their peacoat. There are things that shouldn't be wrong, such as fit (one should have a peacoat that fits) - but there are things that are completely preferential like collar, length, etc. I know J.Crew has the Bayswater, which is a shorter, more classic fit, and they also have the Dock, which is a slimmer, longer coat. Both look good IMO, it just depends on what the wearer is looking for in their coat. Personally, i'll forever wear my peacoat collar up, and being a taller guy, I like a little bit of length on the body of the coat, too.
    I'm pretty much on board with this. My opinion on collar up versus down should be taken with a grain of salt though, since i find that I generally wear my collar up on most outerwear (related: minor pet peeve of mine is when people fold the collar down on mock neck jackets, but I digress). As far as buttoning, I agree that it looks kind of stiff to be to have all buttons buttoned. I think I'd probably sick with general 3 button suit jacket philosophy with the middle being buttoned, top being optional, and bottom being unbuttoned. This all goes with the standard outerwear exception: if it's bitter cold outside, do what makes you warmest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Exactly. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who wears his collar up on most outerwear. I've had my wife turn down my collar sometimes--I think she thinks she's helping me fix the collar, and she's taken aback a little when I tell her, "No, dear, I meant to do that." She'll wear her pea coat with the collar down and it drives me nuts.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    My collar on my peacoat falls down on one side if not both, you guys must have cardboard collars.
    Eg. Look as this half popped collar fool! SHAME ON HIM!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    My collar on my peacoat falls down on one side if not both, you guys must have cardboard collars.
    Eg. Look as this half popped collar fool! SHAME ON HIM!
    Haha, I didn't mean to imply that the whole thing is straight up at all times, but generally the back portion is "at attention" (like Mr. Gosling's in the above pic).

Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    She'll wear her pea coat with the collar down and it drives me nuts.
    I'm not going to touch women's pea coat "rules."

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Hey, is that you!?

Yeah, mine flops a little on one side. It's a Bayswater from a few years back. But it keeps a general popped up look.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Hey, is that you!?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    ^^ haha

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Oh, it's not you?! But you, like, know him, right, because he let you take his picture?