Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes to bury people in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Shoes to bury people in

I attended my first funeral in several years, and dusting off my square-toed black derbys was not my favorite thing in the world. I need a new pair of black shoes that are funeral appropriate. It seems like a nice oxford would be the way to go (vs. a derby) but as I don't get a lot of mileage out of black shoes (mostly cognac or burgundy), I'd probably never wear them asides from...well..funerals.

Is there any shoe that "toes the line" between being formal/appropriate enough for a funeral, but also able to wear without a suit? Like a double monk or a chelsea boot? Either of those I could see wearing on another occasion, but a black, laceup oxford...just isn't going to get a lot of mileage (which is fine if that's what it has to be).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I attended my first funeral in several years, and dusting off my square-toed black derbys was not my favorite thing in the world. I need a new pair of black shoes that are funeral appropriate. It seems like a nice oxford would be the way to go (vs. a derby) but as I don't get a lot of mileage out of black shoes (mostly cognac or burgundy), I'd probably never wear them asides from...well..funerals.

Is there any shoe that "toes the line" between being formal/appropriate enough for a funeral, but also able to wear without a suit? Like a double monk or a chelsea boot? Either of those I could see wearing on another occasion, but a black, laceup oxford...just isn't going to get a lot of mileage (which is fine if that's what it has to be).
    Is a black balmoral wingtip too close to what you're trying to avoid? I wear mine with suits and charcoal odd trousers.

Edited to add: sorry for your loss.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    No one is looking at your shoes at a funeral, so if they're black, you're probably fine. That being said, conceptually, I feel like a double monk would kind of go against the idea of dressing demurely in a certain way. I doubt anyone would blink at a chelsea boot (particularly since the stretchy part would be black as well as opposed to contrasting with other color leather).

That being said, do you ever need black shoes for formal attire events? I use my own black captoes (shined up) for that as well. Something to think about if you're buying your only black shoe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Unless it's a very formal funeral, I doubt anyone would notice what you are wearing. I attended a funeral for the first time as an adult last year and made sure to follow all the rules (black suit, somber tie, plain black shoes, etc). Half the people at the funeral were just in what I would consider business casual and very few of those who did wear a jacket or a suit wore black. It's really all about the person you are remembering and their family though, and nobody is really looking at clothes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)

Shoes to bury people in

Weirdest thread title ever. Don't overthink it. Black and conservative. No one will notice anyways.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    What about a single monk like the AE Warwick http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...ps/SF5750.html
    Black Chelsea boot mentioned above is also a good idea. To parrot what was said above; nobody is looking at your shoes, as long as it isn't too gaudy, you should be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    Weirdest thread title ever.
    I was going into the thread thinking people were going to talk about what shoes will be buried into the ground.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpb View Post
    I was going into the thread thinking people were going to talk about what shoes will be buried into the ground.
    Lol, me too

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpb View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    Those would have to be some really big shoes.