View Poll Results: Has the crappy Canadian dollar vs. the US Dollar influenced your purchases?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 68.75%
  • No

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The craptacular Canadian dollar

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1496 Post(s)

The craptacular Canadian dollar

For my Canadian colleagues, although all are welcome to comment, has the craptacular Canadian dollar vs. the greenback influenced your purchasing decisions at all? I can say it has certainly influenced mine.

I would love to get something from the SS Outlet shop, and I have my eye on a nice watch too. But with the buck at $0.70 USD, it has really deterred my from doing any purchases. Would be interested to hear how others are coping/feeling/thinking.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)
    canadians sure were on the forefront of the flannel thing, last couple years. They really had a hop on us americans.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Absolutely, I've been waiting for a decent sale to pick up a pair of boots - Wolverine 1000 Mile or Chippewa 6" Service - but with the dollar where it is, even when they're on sale I'd be paying full retail if not more, with potential shipping and potentially unattractive return policies on top. It's just not worth the cost and the risk right now.

On a separate note, how are you accessing the SuitSupply outlet, as it's not available to Canadians?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    It's made me consider S&M but in still holding off due to the concerns I have with returning items to them at the moment.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    It's made me consider S&M but in still holding off due to the concerns I have with returning items to them at the moment.
    I tried S&M and it is pretty easy. Go grab your best fitting shirt and your fabric measuring tape. Don't have one of those? Like $3 at Target. Measure your shirt. S&M has accurate measuring on their website. Compare your best fitting shirt to the S&M shirt of your choice and buy said shirt(s). If you are a common size and buy white shirts I am sure you could recoup your money here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    DocDave it has definitely impacted my purchases. I am looking way more at Canadian sources and eschewing former staples like J. Crew.

I've picked up some stuff from Spier and Mackay recently, a shirt and blazer, and will definitely be going back to them for their suiting, potentially their shirts as well if I can get the ones I want at the time! Outside of the normal fare of this website, I've been using MEC and Altitude Sports for my outdoors related clothing and equipment instead of Backcountry and Evo.

Fellow Canadians, do you have any other suggestions? I bought some stuff from F&O years ago but I'm not rushing back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I tried S&M and it is pretty easy. Go grab your best fitting shirt and your fabric measuring tape. Don't have one of those? Like $3 at Target. Measure your shirt. S&M has accurate measuring on their website. Compare your best fitting shirt to the S&M shirt of your choice and buy said shirt(s). If you are a common size and buy white shirts I am sure you could recoup your money here.
    For something like shirts that's fine but with suits etc I really like to see it in person and test it out. Id rather pay more for a store or process that promotes returns easier than the measurement or calculated guess route.

S&M mentioned they may adopt this soon and it would then probably change my opinion.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    On a separate note, how are you accessing the SuitSupply outlet, as it's not available to Canadians?
    I second this question.

@topic: Not really that impactful on my purchases as I'm just starting out in my #menswear crusade and that means not yet buying pretty expensive stuff especially from outside Canada.

I'll stick with my sale purchases for now.
    5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Would love a Canadian website to pick up Berg & Berg or better quality ties from (Spier's ties are fine but I'm looking for other patterns). As for shopping and returning at Spier - I've been buying from them for over a year and it's never been an issue. It's not just a value thing, the quality and construction are really nice, even if there was better currency parity I wouldn't buy my suits or shirts from almost anywhere else.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)
    no, I am broke no matter what country I am in.