Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Debate? Pea coat buttoning and collar up or down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard7926 View Post
    Since this thread seems to be alive and well, I just stumbled across this style tip, from Sabir at Mens Style Pro.

It was mentioned about how bad DB coats look open, but buttoning it back on itself helps you breathe if the weather turns a little more comfortable. I think it's pretty sweet, personally.

intersting picture. I think that would be a bit hard to do on a peacoat considering the tougher material, but on an overcoat like this, definitely looks good. A+ for the find.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prepster View Post
    Honestly i dont give much of a damn about it.
    Bumping a two year old thread and then defending your opinion to a fault suggests otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    got carried away, and mostly was just commenting on buttons before being swept away on collars...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    What does that even mean? They have an explicit rule saying that hands are never to be in pockets? I know the military isn't super-efficient, but I that seems unlikely. I could believe they have a rule saying not to stand around with hands in pockets while in dress blues, but that actually doesn't seem so unreasonable.
    Actually, yes. I'll even go super-dork for you and quote the reg: AR 670-1, Chapter 3, Paragraph 3-6(a)(3) - "While in uniform, personnel will not place their hands in their pockets, except momentarily to place or retrieve objects. . . ."

But more to the point, which was raised by @Matchbook -- It may be a rule, but it's definitely a rule that some (including myself) elect to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Eh. This is also a rule that I've seen ignored by every soldier on every Army base I've ever seen, and in the field, no one really cares except for 1st Sergeants and Smajs.
    Field or garrison, I regularly ignore this rule. Although the quote comes from a Marine, it's applicable to all branches. "A Marine with cold hands and empty pockets is a damn fool." -Chesty Puller

And to the whole point of the thread - I wear a pea coat. Middle two buttons buttoned. Bottom button unbuttoned. Collar up if I'm cold. (And if I'm wearing a pea coat in Atlanta, I'm probably pretty damn cold.)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
    Not dead, also not playing especially well with others.

http://www.ivy-style.com/billaxy-blu...n-blogger.html
    Wait, is he Billax or is he the troll?

Edit: never mind, i perused one of the linked forum threads from the article, and he is the transgressor. This is hilarious to me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Wait, is he Billax or is he the troll?

Edit: never mind, i perused one of the linked forum threads from the article, and he is the transgressor. This is hilarious to me.
    The whole thing is just bizarre. I check out the AAAC Trad forum on a semi-regular basis and this blew up in their "What are you wearing today?" thread a week or two ago (with ongoing fallout apparently).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard7926 View Post
    Since this thread seems to be alive and well, I just stumbled across this style tip, from Sabir at Mens Style Pro.

It was mentioned about how bad DB coats look open, but buttoning it back on itself helps you breathe if the weather turns a little more comfortable. I think it's pretty sweet, personally.

Hm. Interesting. Not sure how to feel about self-buttoning each respective side to it's own buttons. It feels a little silly to me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Hm. Interesting. Not sure how to feel about self-buttoning each respective side to it's own buttons. It feels a little silly to me.
    I tried this once, and it felt silly. Especially since the inside fabric on my waxed cotton peacoat is a different color than the outside.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    I wish someone liked my style so much they copied me. I like duvel and his opinions we need more of that. Brutal.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    I wish someone liked my style so much they copied me. I like duvel and his opinions we need more of that. Brutal.
    Duvel is (allegedly) the troll plagiarizing Billax.
    Ben