Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Glass

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    honrsup - it's easier (at least for now) to fit a good camera in a phone than a headset (weight, power, size, optics / stability). I'd assume, as a result, that the image quality will be better on a phone, at least for a while (maybe a decade or so). The only thing about the headset that seems more intrusive is it's always-on nature, and it's a mistake to assume that you can't set a phone up to record video / audio perpetually (though I wouldn't like to work on the problem of stabilizing it within a shirt pocket so it could always see out a small fixed hole). At this point, I think it'd be a mistake for anyone in public to ever assume they're not being recorded. This tends to freak out Americans, since privacy is very explicitly fundamental here, but in many other countries, people seem okay with it (think London's CCTV cameras).

To be clear, it's not that I don't think it's creepy / invasive - I just think the creepiest / most invasive parts have already been with us for a few years already - this just gives it a new, wonky-but-exciting interface.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    I hear you and agree. Yet still even very intelligent people have highly confidential phone calls on the Amtrak or LIRR, etc. that are reported on because some journalist or competitor was in a row behind them. It's a good approach to just assume everyone is listening and could know what you're talking about when you're in public, so best to just leave truly confidential conversations to in person and behind closed doors.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    My aim is to avoid things that make me look nerdy, not acquire them!
    Some of us own our nerdiness... :-)

I just don't need to drop $1500 on another toy.