Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Glass

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Google Glass

Just got an invitation to buy one of these puppies for $1,500. That's a lot of money.

Anyone have a pair? Thoughts? I'm concerned about they will fit over regular prescription glasses.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNSamurai View Post
    Just got an invitation to buy one of these puppies for $1,500. That's a lot of money.

Anyone have a pair? Thoughts? I'm concerned about they will fit over regular prescription glasses.

Thanks!
    Thats my concern with them as well. Ive got prescription glasses and i feel like they would fit bizarrely over regular glasses. They seem super awesome and id be curious to see what happens down the road. I thought they were going to try and get that price point down from the $1500 to make it more reasonable. id be curious what people say if they have experience with them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    My aim is to avoid things that make me look nerdy, not acquire them!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    They will be available with prescriptions in the future. Which probably means they don't work so great over top of glasses.

http://gizmodo.com/googles-getting-s...ass-1469880397

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    My aim is to avoid things that make me look nerdy, not acquire them!
    The concept seems pretty cool but also kind of creepy. Definitely do not wear them on dates lol.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Wearable tech is a big component of the future. It all comes down to what matters to you more: a few quality suits/shoes/leather/raw denim/whatever, or the chance to try and be a part of an incredible new technology that's going to shape the next 30 to 50 years. Google Glass is just the tip of the iceberg at GoogleX, and there's a lot more cool stuff coming, but you don't pay 1500 for them for just the product, you do it because you want to be part of history. But that's an entirely personal call.

(And obviously they don't look that good; I have friends who have sampled the product when GoogleX came to school but I never got the chance.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Looking at the last N tech innovations, where they were introduced, and where they are now, I would say that as they're introduced, they're at best orthogonal to style, and generally against it. There are exceptions (think Apple products), but very few companies put the R&D into design that's required - it's much more efficient to let the world do that part for you. In a few years, Google Glass (and it's competitors, if anyone decides to make one) will look good, but for now, Google's spent most of their design-engineering on it, as far as I can tell, to make it not-too-heavy, and only sort of hideous. They also had a LOT of pressure to make them obvious - everyone freaking out about how anyone wearing glasses could be recording them. The tech's not there yet to make them not-really-obvious (you could do it with thick, hot frames and plugging your glasses in every hour or so, but that seems like it'd generate bad press), but even if it were, they couldn't do it for PR / privacy reasons. \begin{rant} I always found that part of the google glass discussion completely ridiculous - not that they can't invade the privacy of others, but how on earth in 2013 are people still shocked at the idea that people can be hanging around in public, appearing to do their own thing (like, say, using their phone, perhaps), but actually recording images / video? Are you totally chill around people looking around, and paranoid around people using their phones? \end{rant} Sorry about that - I just never got my head around the outrage.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just not enough of a techie, but I find them repulsive in style and sort of useless generally. I'll likely have to change my mind during my lifetime, but for now I'll stick with using my phone when necessary.

BigBay -- As for your rant, I think privacy is a bigger concern w Google Glass because capturing your image is slightly more invasive in some people's minds, not to mention that most phones, etc. can't record your conversation or take your photo/video unless you're rather close to it and/or blatantly obvious that you are recording (or taking a picture, etc.). This is part of the idea behind why you can't turn off the "click" on iPhones when you take pictures--to avoid people taking pictures of unwilling models. With Google Glass, I understand (in my limited knowledge--I honestly haven't read that much about it) that it may not be as easy to tell if someone is recording/snapping photos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    This is part of the idea behind why you can't turn off the "click" on iPhones when you take pictures--to avoid people taking pictures of unwilling models.
    On my iPhone at least, there's no shutter sound when the phone is on silent.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxshow View Post
    On my iPhone at least, there's no shutter sound when the phone is on silent.
    Interesting -- mine too now. In the past (I read about it and looked into it personally a couple years ago), that wasn't the case.