Thread: Ohio Winter Dress Shoes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Ohio Winter Dress Shoes?

Im in need of some newer shoes that i can wear to work (business casual but i mainly dress up more). Ive got some walnut strands on the way but i feel like the salty snowy weather might wear them down. Id like something durable that i can wear throughout the day without wearing winter boots or other shoes into work then switching them out. Ive also got the AE McAdams on their way too in black so any suggestions would be appreciated. Im not used to wearing more expensive shoes and would like guidance if anything.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Full-leather or v-tread/combi sole on either of those AEs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Full leather on them. so its not the greatest for winter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    swims, or change shoes in the office. i keep a pair of ae loafers under the desk at work, and can wear anything from wellingtons to flipflops without worrying about this

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Those are both a bit dressy for what you're going to be dealing with for weather. I would really not want to be walking through ankle-deep slush in those babies. These don't get a lot of love on this site, mainly because of their beefy lug sole, but I have a pair of AE Long Branches in brown that I wear all the time for rain. The price on these will also drop pretty well, so you can get a pretty good deal on them, particularly if you go through the shoe bank.

For something you'd feel a bit more comfortable beating up, I really like the Florsheim's Gaffney Wingtip and Indie Cap Toe. The Gaffney is basically the same as the Long Branch, whereas the Indie has a bit less substantial sole, but still some rubber and traction.

They may not look as sleek as the dressier leather-soled ones, but they can take more of a beating, and you'll actually be able to walk if the ground is slippery. As far as style is concerned, while the Dalton's might look awesome with a suit and the Long Branches might look off with a suit, I think the Dalton's will look downright bizarre trudging through puddles or a couple inches of snow.

Whatever you get, I'd probably give them a good sno seal treatment, or at least some waterproofer. I waterproof mine pretty thoroughly, but I'm in Florida. In Ohio, I'd want something more.

The moral of the story: Good choice on the Strands, but please oh please keep them dry. If you have to, make yourself a homemade hyperbaric chamber:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P J View Post
    Those are both a bit dressy for what you're going to be dealing with for weather. I would really not want to be walking through ankle-deep slush in those babies. These don't get a lot of love on this site, mainly because of their beefy lug sole, but I have a pair of AE Long Branches in brown that I wear all the time for rain. The price on these will also drop pretty well, so you can get a pretty good deal on them, particularly if you go through the shoe bank.

For something you'd feel a bit more comfortable beating up, I really like the Florsheim's Gaffney Wingtip and Indie Cap Toe. The Gaffney is basically the same as the Long Branch, whereas the Indie has a bit less substantial sole, but still some rubber and traction.

They may not look as sleek as the dressier leather-soled ones, but they can take more of a beating, and you'll actually be able to walk if the ground is slippery. As far as style is concerned, while the Dalton's might look awesome with a suit and the Long Branches might look off with a suit, I think the Dalton's will look downright bizarre trudging through puddles or a couple inches of snow.

Whatever you get, I'd probably give them a good sno seal treatment, or at least some waterproofer. I waterproof mine pretty thoroughly, but I'm in Florida. In Ohio, I'd want something more.

The moral of the story: Good choice on the Strands, but please oh please keep them dry. If you have to, make yourself a homemade hyperbaric chamber:
    Thanks! ill do some more research and try and pick a winner. i feel like I'm gonna leave my strands alone for half the winter, especially once the salty slush starts flowing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Off-topic- Thank you for the Zoolander reference PJ. Much appreciated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auronblue View Post
    Off-topic- Thank you for the Zoolander reference PJ. Much appreciated.
    My pleasure.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    I wear my AE FA & Strands, brooks brothers branded ones with rubber sole, in winter and they have decent traction. No salt on roads here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    I wear my AE FA & Strands, brooks brothers branded ones with rubber sole, in winter and they have decent traction. No salt on roads here.

Im gonna get me some BB branded ones from the shoe bank depending on the availability. The strands i got were sadly too big so i need to return them (thats what i get for being uncertain)