Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170
Results 1,691 to 1,698 of 1698

Thread: Combatant Gentleman

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Interesting timing since I just pulled out my Toecap chelseas to start wearing as the temps cool. I was thinking about maybe picking up another pair of shoes from them... oh well.

I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have the CS issues, but there's too much evidence of problems to ignore.
    6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    I know there are more than a few people happy to tap dance on CG's grave. While they blew their rep because of poor logistics and customer service, their suits were and are a good value. When they started in 2012, they seem to have had some labelling issues, but Vishaal seemed to go out of his way to prove that his suits were made of what they said.

I have about 6 or 7 suits from them, and they look and fit well despite somewhat heavy use for about 3 years. I don't have to wear suits as much, so they've been getting more rest time, but everytime I wear one it gets positive feedback. Their shirts and chinos were made fine, but the fit started slim a got worse as I put on a little weight. For example, the arm holes were really high, and that wasn't a weight issue on my part (I'm 5'10" and weigh about 190). I think it was more an issue of taking a sartorial trait to tge extreme end. Going to the athletic fit gave you a sack for a shirt, so there was no winning there.

Overall, if they had been able to keep up their service quality as demand increased, they would have had well-earned success. Spier and Mackay comes to mind in that regard. Unfortunately, CG made too many promises that they couldn't keep. I suppose it was a sign of things to come when they started using wool from other companies instead of using their own supply chain (Joe seems to doubt they had their own sheep) and their prices went up. Then they started charging for shipping that was free at on point. Then the delays which created all of the negative feedback. As someone earlier mentioned, they probably fell behind on paying whoever shipped their goods. Once those dominos fell, it was all over for them. Oh, well. There are other online vendors that carry what I want.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by udub86 View Post
    I think I knew something was up this year when they would have a 25% store wide sale on Fridays and Saturdays, and then it would jump to 30% on Sundays. These guys definitely deserve the excoriation, condemnation, and virulence they're receiving.
    This was my thought exactly. Bit the hook on the emails a couple times to see if there were any good deals but they barely had any stock! Finally un-subbed from the emails and that's that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    It seemed to me like they bit off more than they could chew. I never saw what Joe originally reviewed. What I purchased was after they were a bit more mature (around the time you saw people calling for him to do another review) and honestly it is a fine suit. I wore it today actually and I have been complimented on it in the past. Then they started offering pocket squares (which were garbage), shoes, bags, etc. and at the same time they were always out of stock with suits. Maybe if they would have stuck with their initial offerings for a little while instead of expanding and making garbage they might still be around?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsedlak View Post
    It seemed to me like they bit off more than they could chew. I never saw what Joe originally reviewed. What I purchased was after they were a bit more mature (around the time you saw people calling for him to do another review) and honestly it is a fine suit. I wore it today actually and I have been complimented on it in the past. Then they started offering pocket squares (which were garbage), shoes, bags, etc. and at the same time they were always out of stock with suits. Maybe if they would have stuck with their initial offerings for a little while instead of expanding and making garbage they might still be around?
    I got one of there cheap black suits within there 1st year, paid $140 I think It compares to my Zara suit( cheap looking and too much padding) but on my CG lost money tailoring as it was not very slim but I don't plan to buy another black suit since is only for funerals.. I agree should have perfected and focus on there suits and shirts first at that price range.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    So does this mean they had to sell their sheep farm?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    So does this mean they had to sell their sheep farm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just checked the website just to see what was there, and while there is a lot of product showing, you cannot actually buy anything right now. Either all the sizes are greyed out, or there is a link that says "Notify Me" (on ties and such that don't come in sizes).

Can we say they are officially dead?