Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Combatant Gentleman

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Hello there guys,

I was never a member on here before, but noticed a lot of traffic coming in today and had a few requests from the team to jump on here and answer any immediate questions.

As my sn states. My name is Vishaal Melwani. I am the CEO and co-founder of CG and am a 3rd generation tailor. I was apprenticed for 17 years under my father, who was apprenticed under his. My goal with creating the brand was to use my knowledge in supply-chain to create a brand that showed transparency and cost at it's very core. When we were coming up with the brand a lot of our friends, many in biz school were amidst the toughest job market in history. A lot of them were promised jobs, salaries etc.. which essentially evaporated as the "recession" took course. My initial thoughts were to stop working in supply-chain for other companies who were charging atrocious prices for their products in wholesale form and create a brand that could help my friends. The name is derived from this very problem. Guys who are fighting to get ahead against shitty conditions. Women have a lot of great "fast-fashion" outlets like Forever 21, H&M, etc.. but what do guys have for work?! Men's Wearhouse?!?! Jos. A Bank?!?! Please excuse me while I vomit Why can't we have a Hugo Boss feel, without the price??

So we started it. I've been working in supply-chain for the past 12 years of my life mainly in China, as well as in Los Angeles. After college I took time to work with many different companies through a trading firm which was at based out of Japan. It was a great time and it gave me insight on how the big boys play the supply-chain game. This is mainly where I got most of the knowledge you see at Combat Gent today. We source all of our raw materials from around the world. All of our Wool is from Napoli - a great mill that has been around since the early 1900's that focus in 100% wools and amazing wool blends. All of our cotton is from Northern India. All of this cotton goes into all of the shirts and knits we make in China. I take pride in owning the supply-chain model for this company. This makes us so romantically involved with the product it is insane! Besides knowing the product... the low prices are just the product of being good at what we do.

I love the fact that our customers are inquisitive and we are working our hardest to get you more knowledge about our product on a daily basis. I for one love talking to anyone about supply-chain. It's a passion of mine and I feel that if more brands acted the we did, a direct-to-consumer brand like ours wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Feel free to hit me with any questions here or directly at my email: vishaal@combatgent.com

Thanks and looking forward to chatting more!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting Vishaal! Care to comment on the suit construction? Are they half-canvassed or fused?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Based on the Hugo Boss comment (and of course the price), I would say they're going for good materials and modern styling in a fused suit. Even if these are fused, if the styling is good, service is good, and materials are decent, $160 is a pretty good deal. JAB prices for Boss quality would easily put them ahead of Indochino in my book.

Of course, whether they are hitting on those points remains to be seen, but it certainly looks worth a test drive. Interesting name, irreverent website, and credit for actually approaching the dappered forum. Hope to see some reviews in the next weeks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Vishaal we could also do with a list of measurements for your suits as the shoulders are always the issue for me and I am sure for the other guys (I am a 46R or a 44T depending on the cut).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the response.

To answer the questions:
    1. Our suits are currently half-canvassed. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against fused suits as a ton of $1000.00 suits are fused out there. I personally just like the weight of a half-canvassed suit. On the other end of the spectrum with full-canvassed suiting, I feel its way too heavy for our guy. These suits are meant to be worn in the office and then over and over again in your social life. With a pair of jeans to the bar or a date, or vice versa. I wanted to make something that was versatile and had a multi-purpose feel to it.

AFCForever: Sure thing: our 46R in the modern fit, which is what I presume you are going for?
    Across Shoulder: 19 1/2"
    Full Chest/ 1" Below Armhole: 47"
    Full Waist: 44"
    Front Length: 32 3/8"

As you can see when I made the pattern for the Modern Fit, I had the athletic guy in mind. We had a lot of our early clients like the slim fit, but a lot of guys who either played sports when they were younger, or who were just naturally broader complain that the slim was way too slim. At the same time they didn't want a boxy-ass cut suit. So what I did was just broaden the base, gave a bit more room in the chest as well as the thigh on the pants and BAM problem solved.

I attached a pic of exactly what we did in info-graphic form.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Vishaal,

Any chance you will make a blazer/sport coat or sell just the suit jacket on its own?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Wait, half canvassed 140s wool from Naples... for that price? Vishaal, I think you've got our collective ear. Would you be willing to send someone on this forum who knows about suits a sample to check out? Fred G. Unn and Bruschetta definitely know their stuff. One of them could check it out and give a review. Just a thought. Most of us would rust their verdict.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Yep! We are working on some cool tweeds as we speak. They will be slightly higher in price than the suit jackets, but still absurd value.

Deleting the wholesale middleman is the only way to go!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Of course I mean "trust." Only some will rust their verdict.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Hey BB,

Sure thing!

Again, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against a good fused suit. It just hast be fused right. There is too much bad fusing going on out there... Way too much. But with that being said, I have seen some factories absolutely kill it! With finer more supple material, a good fused setup could make for a really awesome spring suit. We are in fact in testing as we speak! Sorry, I tend to ramble about production...

Could you have them email me at vishaal@combatgent.com?

We run reviews through our PR team

Thanks,