Thread: "Normal" shoe wear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Normal" shoe wear?

This is my first post, thanks for having me. Just discovered Dappered a few weeks ago and slowly upgrading my wardrobe from the usual jeans and sneakers to more grownup pants and shoes. Last week, I saw the sale at Banana Republic, so I ordered a pair of the brown Troy Oxfords, at my normal shoe size (10.5). In my excitement to start looking better immediately, I foolishly wore them out on the streets and work twice while still unsure about the fit. This is my first time wearing longer shoes like this (coming from some Ecco square toe box nonsense that I've worn for a few years nonstop!). All around the foot feels fine (top and heel), but there does seem to be more than an inch between my longest toe and the front of the shoe and my toes do seem to have a lot of room to move. I've also noticed that for one of my feet, some creasing has started just before the toe box area. It seems like it might just be par for the course, but this type of shoe is all new to me, so I'm not sure if that's just how these shoes are supposed to fit or if I may have made the wrong size choice? I was planning on stopping by a Banana Republic store just to see how a size 10 compares, to try to put my mind at ease. Probably should have done that before the purchase...ugh.

My main question is actually about heel wear. As I've said, I've worn them twice, out on NYC streets. I took a look at the soles this morning and they look super worn down already. Is this common? Should I look into getting some rubber to prevent further wear? I know shoes are meant to be worn and used, but these already look like they've been to hell and back after only wearing twice! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. It looks like I can only post links to my pics, so apologies if they don't come through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doesnt look like the pics are linking. Sorry, will repost later.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    For the pics, just use the "insert image" icon to link to your Flickr.

The heels look fine to me. They just look like you've been wearing them. A bigger problem is that there looks like there is a crease forming in front of the perforations on the cap toe. If you see creases on the cap toe, it's a sign that the shoe is either too large for you or is a poorly designed shoe. If you have an inch at the front of the shoe, then they are way too big for you. I'd go down at least a half size, possibly a full size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like a lot of wear on the heel IMO. I've got the same exact shoes that I've worn a half dozen times to the office and they don't have half as much wear to the heel. Take whatever you want from that. But I'd definitely stop by a store to see how a different size feels.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casanovanaut View Post
    My main question is actually about heel wear. As I've said, I've worn them twice, out on NYC streets. I took a look at the soles this morning and they look super worn down already. Is this common? Should I look into getting some rubber to prevent further wear? I know shoes are meant to be worn and used, but these already look like they've been to hell and back after only wearing twice!
    The heel wear probably just looks worse than it is. It's not that the heel is wearing down, it's that the thin finish over that leather is coming off. Nothing to worry about.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casanovanaut View Post
    It looks like I can only post links to my pics, so apologies if they don't come through.

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomccarthy/10886896315/[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomccarthy/10887066074/in/photostream/[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomccarthy/10887066174/in/photostream/[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomccarthy/10886896125/in/photostream/[/IMG]
    Those aren't usable image links. You have to enable sharing in your settings then grab the BBCode links from the share button on Flickr.

Or extract the image links from the code of the website itself:

But this way is more complicated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    The heel wear probably just looks worse than it is. It's not that the heel is wearing down, it's that the thin finish over that leather is coming off. Nothing to worry about.
    I have a pair of the BR Digby's that I got cheap as some beater shoes - and I wish I'd never bought them. BR shoe quality has really gone downhill. The soles on my Digby aren't leather, they're some strange foam material - and it appears these Troy Oxfords' are as well. You can see where small pebbles have become imbedded in the sole - that doesn't happen very easily with a leather sole. On my shoes at least, the foam soles are pretty crappy, the leather is cheap, and they're not even comfortable. Even for the sale price I paid I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Also, Casanovanaut, I think some BR shoes do tend to run 1/2 a size large, and sounds like that's one of the issues you're dealing with.