Thread: Speaking of Strands...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Speaking of Strands...

Hmnnn....

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/mercanti+fio...tegoryName=men

Well, I *did* just get a "we want you back" - $20 off saving postcard *AND* a $5 off birthday postcard from DSW.

Quality would obviously be (much) lower, but ... but... but...?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I've got that exact pair in the tan color. Can't recommend them enough for the price (as long as the price is around $100).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Wearing my Strands today...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dackman View Post
    I've got that exact pair in the tan color. Can't recommend them enough for the price (as long as the price is around $100).
    Ah, good the hear some personal feedback on them.

Based on the price listed there online, minus the discounts I presently have to use, they'd be $115 (barring any further reductions of which I am not aware).

Any other current promotions going on at DSW, fellas? I see they have the extra 20% off of clearance, but I didn't see anything cool online at least. I might stop on the way home tonight and have a look-see. Sometimes the in-store clearance racks can surprise ya. Plus, I'll hopefully get a chance to try these bad boys on too.

Thanks for the recommendation, dack!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Wearing my Strands today...
    Hahah! Nice! So far I think they might be the most handsome AE shoe offering to my eyes. I could see wearing the ever-lovin' crap outta a pair in Merlot (my fave shoe color). I love the look of them in brown suede too.

The bourbons are on sale now too, right? Direct from AE, I mean. $50 off?

The Walnut option is a great looking shoe too - I just wonder if I would wear them enough to justify. Ugh. LOL

What color(s) do you have, frost?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Ah, good the hear some personal feedback on them.

Based on the price listed there online, minus the discounts I presently have to use, they'd be $115 (barring any further reductions of which I am not aware).

Any other current promotions going on at DSW, fellas? I see they have the extra 20% off of clearance, but I didn't see anything cool online at least. I might stop on the way home tonight and have a look-see. Sometimes the in-store clearance racks can surprise ya. Plus, I'll hopefully get a chance to try these bad boys on too.

Thanks for the recommendation, dack!
    $115 sounds like a fair price. Something to look out for if you do head to the brick and mortar...I got mine shortly after they were released (late Spring) and online the color was only listed as Brown, but in the store the box said Tan. I see they now have both Brown and Tan listed on the website, but the SKU and UPC numbers are the same on both colors. So I'm wondering if they added the Tan on the web because the Brown doesn't really exist? Weird. The tan color isn't super bright, pretty accurate to the stock image, but I do remember at the time how much different they looked in person than on the website.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    I want those MF cap-toes real bad, but they're not in store around me. :/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Hahah! Nice! So far I think they might be the most handsome AE shoe offering to my eyes. I could see wearing the ever-lovin' crap outta a pair in Merlot (my fave shoe color). I love the look of them in brown suede too.

The bourbons are on sale now too, right? Direct from AE, I mean. $50 off?

The Walnut option is a great looking shoe too - I just wonder if I would wear them enough to justify. Ugh. LOL

What color(s) do you have, frost?
    I have walnut Strands and wear them very frequently. I'd probably wear them even more if they were in bourbon. However, that sale is really making me consider getting a pair of Bourbon McAllisters as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I did stop by DSW on the way home last night. Saw the MF Strand-like cap-toes. Nice! But I decided to pass. In person, and on my feet they looked and felt very much like my Stafford Ashtons. I'm sure the MFs are of much better quality than the JCPs, but still aside from the wing vs cap, they just had too much of a similarity for me to grab them. Very close in color to the Staffords, and much higher/taller vamp - if I have the shoe parts right... maybe instep?... dunno - basically they have a higher "profile" in general (heel included, IIRC) than the Strand does. Again, much more similar to the Ashtons.

I'm not bashing them at all. In fact if I didn't already have the Ashtons, I may have been more tempted to jump on the MFs. As expected they are really not close in quality to AEs, but the price reflects that, so I'm OK with that. One thing I worry about, as I saw it on these and a few other MFs and AGs (both DSW house brands) that I tried on in the clearance section, is the leather seems to wrinkle so easy on these shoes, just putting them on for like 30 seconds. I have a pair of their older slightly-chisel-toed loafers that do that as well. I wonder if other folks here who have them see this too.

Anyhoot, pass for me, but worth a look, if you're in the market for some medallion cap toes., on a medium-ish budget.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    the leather seems to wrinkle so easy on these shoes, just putting them on for like 30 seconds.
    The toe looks nice (although maybe not quite straight) but there looks to be a massive difference in the quality of the leather between the toe and vamp. I'd guess that they used a really cheap piece of leather there. If that's what they look like new, I'd definitely pass. The creases that your foot will create will be competing with the existing creases in the leather from the animal and I bet it will look like a mess after a few wears.