Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hobbies

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If you like malls, the Natick Mall seems to have everything on most people's bucket list, from JCP to Nordstroms, BR, BB, J Crew, and an AE. There's a Rack and REI nearby too, but not in the mall.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pratyk View Post
    It might sound silly but one of the things that I miss about college - playing squash with my buddies (not that I was any good at it but it was a hell of a workout!). Now that I moved up to Boston, the squash courts are either $$$ or need membership and I got no one to play with.
    I hear that. I have a squash racquet and think I've used it 3 times since moving to new hampshire 6 years ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redford View Post
    Pratyk, I'm in Boston as well. Is there anywhere you recommend I go shopping instead of just ordering stuff online most the time?

As far as my hobbies go: rock climb 2-3 times a week, try to lift twice a week, go motorcycling (in the Western half of the state) when the weather and my work schedule permit. I play tennis when I get the chance to but I've found I don't currently have anyone around my skill level to play against. I'm a tinkerer (cars, motorcycles, computers, etc) as well but am limited by the tools I have out here as I left the majority of my collection in Western Mass.
    Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. I stay in the city and do not own a car anymore; as a result I tend to stick to areas accessible by the T. Most times, I end up at the Prudential/Copley malls or on Newbury street / Boylston street. There's a Nordstrom Rack on Boylston street now, in the space that was previously occupied by Filenes Basement. There's a Macy's and DSW at Downtown Crossing/Park Street.

If I need something that's not available at these places, I end up at the Cambridgeside Galleria mall in Cambridge (Lechmere station is the closest on the Green line). There's a Sears there which I've been to a few times in order to return Lands End stuff.

Then there's Natick Mall & Burlington Mall which has pretty much of everything as mentioned by onerany. There are 2 outlets that are pretty much equidistant from Boston - Wrentham Outlets & the ones in Merrimack. I've been to Wrentham a few times but I hear the ones in Merrimack are a little better in terms of the layout and not as crowded when compared to the ones in Wrentham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fun thread.

Art (https://www.etsy.com/shop/joeyelkins)
    Cooking
    Reading
    Hiking (easy to do in SoCal)
    Fitness (working out, yoga, trying random groupon-derived things like indoor climbing and krav maga)

One day I'd like to learn to play the mandolin, so I can travel around and join in bluegrass & celtic jam sessions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say i spend most of my "hobby" time cycling. Now that the race season is over here in the NYC area obviously my time consumption has seriously dwindled. That's still my "thing"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Just wanted to say thanks for looking at my picture photos. Since I got a mention on the main page my flickr image views went from the tens to the hundreds. Hope you guys liked them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New here; thought I'd chime in here.

I used to ride sport bikes and spent a fair bit of time on the track, then the dirt bike bug hit and then flittered away. I gave up the motorcycles when my daughter arrived (lack of time and felt that I'd been to too many funerals).

I've been running long enough to consider myself serious, and plan to run my 2nd marathon this June. Really like the half marathon distance, though, and the daughter has been out with my running club nearly every Saturday morning since she was 4mos old. I've been doing some road cycling, but mostly just the odd commute into work to take as little time from the family as possible.

I picked up fly fishing about 3 years ago, and have plenty to learn, but really enjoying all that it offers. I have not started tying my own, as I decided that I should learn to play the guitars that I have sitting around instead of getting into another hobby, so I have been making a good effort over the last 3-4 months at improving beyond the basic level that I've been at since my teens.

I dabble in photography, mostly when I'm out exploring, or when we go camping. The daughter has been a fun photography project, but she's has a hard time sitting still, always wants to see what you're snapping!

The last few years, I've been really pursuing discovering more traditional ways of doing some common tasks, and exploring some more ritualistic ways, this started with learning to slow cook meat over charcoal, fly fishing fits this, and shaving also (I've been using a Double Edged safety razor for 3 years now...)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I'm reviving this thread to ask a question I've been pondering for a while: does anybody here play League of Legends?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    I'm reviving this thread to ask a question I've been pondering for a while: does anybody here play League of Legends?
    I just built a gaming PC for the first time ever about a month ago (I had previously been a console gamer, but the new offerings didn't do much for me). I have not played any League of Legends since I'm more of an FPS and action/adventure fan, but I've heard good things, and maybe one day will give it a go. In the meantime, I've been having a blast with Titanfall, and L.A. Noire has been there when I need a single player fix.

Hobby side note: I really enjoyed building the PC. It was fun sourcing the parts and finding deals, and the actual assembly just reminded me of an grown up version of Legos. I'd love to somehow turn that into a side gig, but I don't think there's much of a market for it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I'm currently building a quadcopter in my spare time as hobbies go. It's like Legos but with 17" carbon fiber props.

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard