Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Hobbies

I was very curious given our diverse readership if people could share hobbies and habits they find productive or wish they started. There are certain things I always wish I learnt how to do. Just put down some cash on guitar lessons instead of a blazer for once. Anyone else?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    My hobbies are cooking and running. My fiancee and I love trying new recipes then adapting them after the first round. We see this as starting from a base and building from it. As for the running aspect it gets me out and enjoying nature and things around me. It has helped in the past explore a new city and judge distances.

I owned a guitar at one point but never took lessons and sold it off to a coworker a long time ago. Drumming would have been cool as well. Things I enjoy but don't really get around to doing anymore....jigsaw puzzles and crossword puzzles. Let me state at this point that I am an introvert...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Is beer a hobby?

Other things I do include run some fantasy football leagues (again, I suppose stretching the definition of "hobby"), work-out, and some light photography.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Is beer a hobby?
    Sure it is! I enjoy brewing, sharing, discussing and of course, drinking craft beer. Besides that, I spend my time working out, traveling, listening to music/going to concerts, and tinkering with my wardrobe. Lately, the majority of my time has been spent caring for our 3 month old.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Oh I fall into the beer hobbyists as well. Brewing, sharing, and drinking. Super thankful that my fiancee shares this same interest. Grad school takes up most of my time, but very much into the local music scene in Minneapolis (blessed to have one of the greatest concert venues in the country) as well as just trying to stay invested in the local scene (local food, drink, music, businesses).
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    In that case, I do beer more than most any other thing. This month alone a charity brewfest and some events for our cities Beer Week. Not to mention the usual dinners and other private occasions.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I love cooking and it's been a pretty useful hobby while in medical school. Since I don't drink I get to spend my money elsewhere - it's mostly been clothes but I've gone kayaking a few times in the past year (only still water, like at Barton Springs) and I've really enjoyed it/can see myself really getting into it. It's been a long time since I picked up an instrument - I'll probably pay for dance lessons before I pay for music ones at this point. I do enjoy reading but I find I spend more time online and not enough reading books - maybe we could start up a Dappered recommended books thread or something? I get the impression that many of us are quite well-read.
    Last edited by LosRockets; October 9th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    My hobbies have been kind of toned back lately with a busy work and personal life, but when I'm moving at little more of a relaxed pace, I enjoy car driving/tinkering. I have a '68 Mustang that, while in pretty solid condition, always has something that can be worked on. I used to play guitar and piano quite a bit. I never really got into much music writing, but I would teach myself different songs. I'd say the last kind of major one is that I really enjoy movies. I wouldn't say I'm at the level of being considered a cinephile, but I just very much appreciate them and often like to get into the background and theories of some of the more complex ones (but don't get me wrong, I can also enjoy a popcorn flick with the best of them).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Wow! Sounds like a lot of the interests are pretty similar to mine. I've always been fascinated by artist type skills like
    Photography , music , painting, but I'm in business school. Go figure. Beer never crossed my mind though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake101 View Post
    ... but I'm in business school.
    Same! But I was fortunate enough to grow up in some very beautiful country.