Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardedmike View Post
    I ... (do not care for 'foodie').
    I implore you to give him another chance. He has a ten inch drop. Also, foodie is a very nice person with an incredible shoe collection, and did I mention that he has a ten inch drop?

Yes: a ten inch drop.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Seriously, though: I also like cooking, brewing beer, and baking bread, like many others here. I'm in a beer club, which is great. My eating has long outpaced my exercise, even though I enjoy jogging and hiking. I recently took up yoga, and like it a lot.

I play guitar and make music with friends. I'm involved in a monthly song competition where someone picks a theme and the rest of us make a song, and then we vote on the best one, and the winner sets the next theme (not unlike our weekly competition here). The songs are usually ridiculous.

I also really like visual art (Andy Goldsworthy is one of my favorites, check him out if you haven't heard of him) and film.

I also have little kids, with whom I happily spend much of my free time.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Music is my career so I'm dealing with that all the time, but other hobbies include cooking (& kitchen knives), photography, Scotch, college hoops, fishing, and woodworking.
    Mein doppelgänger.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I agree with everything Fred said about knives and Korin.

I'm a food enthusiast (do not care for 'foodie'). I belong to a Chicago-based culinary chat site and love to find ethnic mom and pop shops around the city (incidentally, if you are coming to town, I strongly consider you to begin your restaurant search here). I bake bread. I participate in spicy condiment exchanges and semi-monthly potluck barbeques along the lake during the summer. I get together with friends to cook through cookbooks and prepare feasts while watching football. Last weekend, I smoked 10 chickens for the Homecoming tailgate at my alma mater. I like food.

I'm also into movies and just joined an all-male book club.
    Related link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie

That being said, you sound like you're legit into food/cooking, etc. Here in NYC, too many people say they're a 'foodie' because they like trying nice restaurants or love going to Murray's Cheese... (NB: I am in no way a foodie in either sense of the word, but do tend to roll my eyes at those who claim that they are 'foodies' in the above sense).

Edit: Acoustic version is perfectly fine by me.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Mine are paintball and tennis mainly. I still read comics off and on. Does watching football count as a hobby?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Slam dunk competitions? Do tell.
    I starting playing basketball in college after a 5" growth spurt during the summer before my freshman year. After I started playing, I found out my true gift was driving the lane and dunking. I was always hyper athletic growing up, but never tried basketball because I was short.

After improving my vert and dunk technique, I started competing in contests on campus. I'm working to get back into condition for them this spring (I had a few injuries that sidelined me for a bit), but my goal is to be back at my peak (35" standing vertical and 42" off a three step drop) by my 27th birthday (February 22nd). Right now I'm about 8" short of that on both numbers, but I think I can make it happen.

I wish I had footage to share, but here's a good picture of me practicing for a contest a few years back. My cousin I'm jumping over is 5'6"-5'7"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Nothing exciting here, I play soccer and basketball couple times a week, and I try to sneak in exercise session or two when I dont have to drive kids to their piano/violin/swimming/soccer lessons.I do enjoy to go to movies, I am almost every week in theatre , conveniently located block away from my house.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I implore you to give him another chance. He has a ten inch drop. Also, foodie is a very nice person with an incredible shoe collection, and did I mention that he has a ten inch drop?

Yes: a ten inch drop.
    Ha. I very much approve of 10-inch-drop-Acousticfoodie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Related link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie

That being said, you sound like you're legit into food/cooking, etc. Here in NYC, too many people say they're a 'foodie' because they like trying nice restaurants or love going to Murray's Cheese... (NB: I am in no way a foodie in either sense of the word, but do tend to roll my eyes at those who claim that they are 'foodies' in the above sense).

Edit: Acoustic version is perfectly fine by me.
    Exactly, hornsup. I think the name has taken on a bit of a life of its own and has a bit of a negative connotation. But I'm sure I fit the definition. When I travel, I make Google maps with food destinations. For example, in annual trips to NYC, I link up with fellow food people for food crawls of Flushing, Sunset Park, or the LES. I have lots of interests other than food, but it's a good organizing principle.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Exactly -- that's a real foodie, which is cool if you're into it. Alternatively, liking nice restaurants isn't a hobby.