Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    We have a Zwilling J.A. Henckels set and I mainly use two knives and the kitchen shears. They were a gift from my fiancees parents so I enjoy whatever nice things they buy us.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    I cut my thumb pretty bad using a nice knife once though, so I'm a little wary of using good ones again.
    Also, good knives properly sharpened are actually safer too! Because you are using less pressure to cut, there's less chance of the food slipping and you cutting yourself. Dull (or bad) knives require more pressure and increase the chance of injury. If anyone is interested in kitchen knives I definitely recommend Chad Ward's book: http://www.amazon.com/An-Edge-Kitche.../dp/0061188484

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-chefs-knife/

Damn near the last knife you'll ever need. The 6" size is excellent. Incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long, long time. Fred is spot on about Japanese steel.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-chefs-knife/

Damn near the last knife you'll ever need. The 6" size is excellent. Incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long, long time. Fred is spot on about Japanese steel.
    This is exactly why I recommended trying them out at a Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table. What works great for Greg I know would be terrible for me. For me that knife would be way too short, too much belly, and a strange grip, but it works for him. I find my wife's 8" Shun too short and I much prefer a flatter belly on the knife. Here's my Hattori:

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    If any of you NYC guys are into kitchen knives, Korin down on Chambers Street is Japanese knife heaven: http://korin.com/site/home.html
    Also, the Williams-Sonoma at Columbus Circle has lots of knife brands (like Kikuichi and Masanobu) that are unavailable online, or at any other W-S I've ever been to which is good if you're cashing in credit card points for a W-S gift card.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Photography! http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersims/

Also running, lifting, cycling, hiking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I agree with everything Fred said about knives and Korin.

I'm a food enthusiast (do not care for 'foodie'). I belong to a Chicago-based culinary chat site and love to find ethnic mom and pop shops around the city (incidentally, if you are coming to town, I strongly consider you to begin your restaurant search here). I bake bread. I participate in spicy condiment exchanges and semi-monthly potluck barbeques along the lake during the summer. I get together with friends to cook through cookbooks and prepare feasts while watching football. Last weekend, I smoked 10 chickens for the Homecoming tailgate at my alma mater. I like food.

I'm also into movies and just joined an all-male book club.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    My hobbies are:

Sports (more specifically golf, basketball, tennis, softball, and flag football). I'm getting into cycling next season because my Dad gave me his old race book (Look 586 frame)
    Slam dunk competitions
    Cars (detailing, restoration, and a little racing)
    Life Hacking/Self Improvement

I'm not a cook or beer drinker, so I can't partake in most of the discussion... hah.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Music is my career so I'm dealing with that all the time, but other hobbies include cooking (& kitchen knives), photography, Scotch, college hoops, fishing, and woodworking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Slam dunk competitions? Do tell.