Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My main hobby is being the uninhibited guy at weddings.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I have a few things I'd consider hobbies of some form or another. I'm not too hardcore about it, but I'm an amateur outdoor enthusiast and like to get outside to hike, bike, ski, snowshoe, and otherwise enjoy the mountains. I also play the horn (erroneously called the French horn). I was fairly serious about it through high school and college and considered pursuing it professionally. These days I'd describe myself as a high level amateur.

I've been thinking lately that I really need to pick up a "creative" hobby - something where I actually create something. Like painting or sculpture or glassblowing or something. My mom makes art quilts and my dad's a woodworker so I feel like I should develop some kind of skill in that vein. I've actually been really interested in glassblowing since I was a kid, but that obviously requires more by way of training and specific work space and apparatus than some other hobbies.

I've also decided I need to take fly fishing lessons at some point. Too bad trout don't make very good eating.
    Ben

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I also play the horn (erroneously called the French horn). I was fairly serious about it through high school and college and considered pursuing it professionally. These days I'd describe myself as a high level amateur.
    I was pretty good on trombone back in high school (especially liked jazz), but I let it slide (haha) when I started college. My 4th year I considered joining a school jazz band, but I had completely lost my chops. I mean, I remembered slide positions and scales and all, but I just could not get my mouth to cooperate. I was kind of bummed (but also abandoned getting back into it pretty quickly, so i guess I can't complain).

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Like others, I love cooking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In order of preference:
    Motorcycles
    Cooking
    Random tinkering

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cycling. Road bike racing
    Cooking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most of my hobbies are really violent or really nerdy or both. I used to paint but not so much anymore and photography is more of my intended profession than a hobby.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Cooking is a big one. I'm always up for trying new recipes. I just got my first cast iron skillet this week and I love it. I'm planning on buying a nice set of knives soon too. I cut my thumb pretty bad using a nice knife once though, so I'm a little wary of using good ones again.
    Beer is definitely a hobby of mine too. I'm always looking for new beers to try. I just moved to Tampa and we have Cigar City Brewing, one of the best I've had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got too many hobbies...

Running, road cycling, mountain biking, triathlons, motorcycling, snowboarding, photography, cigars, wine, beer, and travel.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    I'm planning on buying a nice set of knives soon too.
    I have about a zillion hobbies (and not nearly enough time) but cooking and knives are definitely in there. Do NOT buy a "set" of knives. If you do any cooking at all you soon realize that you use your chef's knife for 90+ percent of your prep work. It doesn't make any sense to buy a big set when you're not going to use most of them very often if at all. If you're using your chef's knife 90% of the time it makes the most sense to spend most of your $ on a really good chef's knife. You'll also need a paring knife and a serrated bread knife but you can really get by with just those 3 knives. If you add another knife, I'd get a slicer for proteins. I prefer Japanese steel and use my sujihiki a lot. I basically have no use for a utility knife or most specialty knives, although if there's a specific task you do a lot a specialty knife can be worth it. I usually roast or grill a whole chicken once a week on average so I use this Honesuki for breaking down a chicken.

Both Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table are pretty cool with letting you try out knives. I'd go try out a bunch of chef's knives to see what style you like. Western chef's knives and Japanese Gyutos have very different geometry so see what you like better. I use a 240mm Hattori FH gyuto and my wife uses a 8" Shun Classic.