Thread: 2.75" Ties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.75" Ties

I recently found out I'll have to wear a suit and tie to work everyday, and need to expand my tie collection. I was just going to load up at The Tie Bar, but I prefer a 2.75" tie with a suit. Where could a get ties in this width at comparable prices? Or should I just go with the 3" width? Also, if you have any suggestions for types and styles of ties I should purchase, I'd appreciate the help.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Comparable prices? Almost nowhere with any consistency: Maybe Macy's or Nordstrom Rack during a sale for something in the $20 range, also some Marshall's carry Brooks Brothers ties at this price point. Try thrift stores?

Styles: Can you wear silk knits (I recommend The Knottery for nice affordable ones)? Get one or two wool ties, get some stripes but not too many colors (and avoid things that are very shiny), I'm a fan of geometric patterns/foulards (get ones with navy, brown, and olive/dark green bases, they'll go nicely with your workhorse light blue shirts) but you should grab an ancient madder at a thrift store if you see one you like. Solids are nice with patterned shirts but you want there to be some textural intrigue (a silk knit, wool/blend, linen, or shantung for example) as opposed to the horrific satiny solid ties you see at mid-level department stores.

These are wayyy more expensive than TTB (and yet still, a good value in the world of luxury ties, IMO) but I think they give you a good idea of what types of styles and colors you want to be looking for, as there isn't a bad tie in the lot:
    http://vandafineclothing.com/store/2-neckties
    http://www.pantaclothing.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=93
    http://www.drakes-london.com/ties

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    The Tie bar does have them sometimes but ive seen them listed as "boys length" instead of regular for some reason. I really like that width too

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Oh, also Charles Tyrwhitt sells ties in this width. Buy a shirt right now for $39.95 and get a free tie of your choice. The "slim" ties will match your needs. There are some nice ones in there too. Really great deal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Oh, also Charles Tyrwhitt sells ties in this width. Buy a shirt right now for $39.95 and get a free tie of your choice. The "slim" ties will match your needs. There are some nice ones in there too. Really great deal.
    oh do tell, how do you get that

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake101 View Post
    oh do tell, how do you get that
    www.ctshirts.com/rhett