Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Help me dress for the stage

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Help me dress for the stage

    So, I'm a lead singer for a band. We mostly do weddings and corporate events and we wear all black (formal). We have a couple of public gigs coming up, including one next week at a club that typically features rock acts. We have been told to dress casually, but I want to look good up there. I'm thinking the jeans/blazer combo. What do you guys thinkg of wearing a v-neck or regular t-shirt with a blazer? Should I stick to a collared shirt? If t-shirt, plain or graphic?

    Thanks for you help.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddspell View Post
    So, I'm a lead singer for a band. We mostly do weddings and corporate events and we wear all black (formal). We have a couple of public gigs coming up, including one next week at a club that typically features rock acts. We have been told to dress casually, but I want to look good up there. I'm thinking the jeans/blazer combo. What do you guys thinkg of wearing a v-neck or regular t-shirt with a blazer? Should I stick to a collared shirt? If t-shirt, plain or graphic?

    Thanks for you help.
    Tough question -- what type of music do you guys play? What will the rest of the band be wearing? I'd normally say avoid tshirt under blazer at all costs, but it is pretty rock n' roll if you can pull it off w confidence. Or maybe opt for a henley under a blazer? For the blazer, I'd avoid a classic blazer/sportcoat and opt for cotton or wool if you do wear the blazer; it'll still be formal (especially for the venue, from the sounds of it), but won't be as stuffy as if you came up wearing a brass buttoned DB navy blazer.

  3. #3
    Dappered Veteran BB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Drrrty South
    Posts
    879
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats and Colin Meloy of the Decemberists manage to wear a sport coat with an OCBD and still look the part. Once I saw Jeff Tweedy from Wilco wear a blazer and button up and he looked good, too. But if you're not confident and outgoing it might not work. Of course, Clarks DBs, good jeans, and a henley would look more casual. In any event, you're an artist. Do whatever expresses your art.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Tough question -- what type of music do you guys play? What will the rest of the band be wearing? I'd normally say avoid tshirt under blazer at all costs, but it is pretty rock n' roll if you can pull it off w confidence. Or maybe opt for a henley under a blazer? For the blazer, I'd avoid a classic blazer/sportcoat and opt for cotton or wool if you do wear the blazer; it'll still be formal (especially for the venue, from the sounds of it), but won't be as stuffy as if you came up wearing a brass buttoned DB navy blazer.
    We do EVERYTHING. From Sinatra to Stevie Wonder to Robin Thicke.

    The blazer I'm thinking of is a navy cotton one. Very casual.

  5. #5
    Dappered Veteran BB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Drrrty South
    Posts
    879
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I think of sport coat and t-shirt as sort of boy-band material...

  6. #6
    Varsity Member mcadamsandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    How about a button-down OCBD, vest, and jeans? Nails the "classy, yet casual" look in my opinion. Just make sure the vest is a thicker material, like wool or tweed-y stuff...not the thinner suit style.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    How about a button-down OCBD, vest, and jeans? Nails the "classy, yet casual" look in my opinion. Just make sure the vest is a thicker material, like wool or tweed-y stuff...not the thinner suit style.

    Oooh. I like this idea. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Traditionally you button the top button, but leave the bottom one undone. Pic is just wrong. (Not endorsing the look, but if you do it, you might as well button the thing correctly.)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Okay, so I can't find a vest. I literally work right next to a mall that has ever single store that you can think of, and none of them have vests, or at least ones that work. A lot of the stores have them on line, but I need one for Saturday. Any other ideas?

  10. #10
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,588
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2099 Post(s)
    The Gap Outlet store near me has one. Looks basically like a grey suiting waistcoat, but I think it's cotton with a satin-ish back.

    Try the JCPenney suiting section, as well.
    Ben

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •