Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me dress for the stage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Help me dress for the stage

So, I'm a lead singer for a band. We mostly do weddings and corporate events and we wear all black (formal). We have a couple of public gigs coming up, including one next week at a club that typically features rock acts. We have been told to dress casually, but I want to look good up there. I'm thinking the jeans/blazer combo. What do you guys thinkg of wearing a v-neck or regular t-shirt with a blazer? Should I stick to a collared shirt? If t-shirt, plain or graphic?

Thanks for you help.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddspell View Post
    So, I'm a lead singer for a band. We mostly do weddings and corporate events and we wear all black (formal). We have a couple of public gigs coming up, including one next week at a club that typically features rock acts. We have been told to dress casually, but I want to look good up there. I'm thinking the jeans/blazer combo. What do you guys thinkg of wearing a v-neck or regular t-shirt with a blazer? Should I stick to a collared shirt? If t-shirt, plain or graphic?

Thanks for you help.
    Tough question -- what type of music do you guys play? What will the rest of the band be wearing? I'd normally say avoid tshirt under blazer at all costs, but it is pretty rock n' roll if you can pull it off w confidence. Or maybe opt for a henley under a blazer? For the blazer, I'd avoid a classic blazer/sportcoat and opt for cotton or wool if you do wear the blazer; it'll still be formal (especially for the venue, from the sounds of it), but won't be as stuffy as if you came up wearing a brass buttoned DB navy blazer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats and Colin Meloy of the Decemberists manage to wear a sport coat with an OCBD and still look the part. Once I saw Jeff Tweedy from Wilco wear a blazer and button up and he looked good, too. But if you're not confident and outgoing it might not work. Of course, Clarks DBs, good jeans, and a henley would look more casual. In any event, you're an artist. Do whatever expresses your art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Tough question -- what type of music do you guys play? What will the rest of the band be wearing? I'd normally say avoid tshirt under blazer at all costs, but it is pretty rock n' roll if you can pull it off w confidence. Or maybe opt for a henley under a blazer? For the blazer, I'd avoid a classic blazer/sportcoat and opt for cotton or wool if you do wear the blazer; it'll still be formal (especially for the venue, from the sounds of it), but won't be as stuffy as if you came up wearing a brass buttoned DB navy blazer.
    We do EVERYTHING. From Sinatra to Stevie Wonder to Robin Thicke.

The blazer I'm thinking of is a navy cotton one. Very casual.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I think of sport coat and t-shirt as sort of boy-band material...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    How about a button-down OCBD, vest, and jeans? Nails the "classy, yet casual" look in my opinion. Just make sure the vest is a thicker material, like wool or tweed-y stuff...not the thinner suit style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    How about a button-down OCBD, vest, and jeans? Nails the "classy, yet casual" look in my opinion. Just make sure the vest is a thicker material, like wool or tweed-y stuff...not the thinner suit style.

Oooh. I like this idea. Thanks!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Traditionally you button the top button, but leave the bottom one undone. Pic is just wrong. (Not endorsing the look, but if you do it, you might as well button the thing correctly.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Okay, so I can't find a vest. I literally work right next to a mall that has ever single store that you can think of, and none of them have vests, or at least ones that work. A lot of the stores have them on line, but I need one for Saturday. Any other ideas?

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2099 Post(s)
    The Gap Outlet store near me has one. Looks basically like a grey suiting waistcoat, but I think it's cotton with a satin-ish back.

Try the JCPenney suiting section, as well.
    Ben