Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wardrobe Musings

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketSquare View Post
    You would wear every last piece but do you?
    If not for the issues you pointed out, yeah. There just aren't enough occasions to wear all the outfits I'd have planned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the honesty in this thread. One of the massive benefits of having a fantastic thrifted wardrobe is the paring down barely hurts and buyer's regret is minimal. I look at that Hugo Boss shirt that I can never get all the wrinkles out of and think "no biggie to donate it back, it was only $7."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Jake I feel the same way. I could wear all of it, but cant possibly wear all of it. I am thinking of doing a bit of a purge even though most all I would be selling would be usable. Ive come to realize I gravitate to a few favourite outfits versus wearing tons of different things. Still debating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    No. I like having so many clothing items I can only keep track of them in a spreadsheet. I don't ever want to be identified with a particular look. I want to flex my styling muscles and show that I can put together wildly varied but successful looks.

In fact it was my new year's resolution to not repeat an outfit for an entire year.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Liu View Post
    No. I like having so many clothing items I can only keep track of them in a spreadsheet. I don't ever want to be identified with a particular look. I want to flex my styling muscles and show that I can put together wildly varied but successful looks.

In fact it was my new year's resolution to not repeat an outfit for an entire year.
    Haha that's nuts

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    I think that the hardest place for me to stop with the unnecessary spending is with shoes (as it is for many of us).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    That's my weakness too.
    Same here. I don't really feel the same way about other more disposable items in my closet (like shirts) as I do about shoes. A good pair of shoes can last a decade or more, so while the initial expense is quite high, the average cost per wear is quite low. I made plenty of shoe mistakes when I first sort of started rebuilding my wardrobe either through eBay or just pouncing on every Shoebank sale. Now I'm a lot more selective and am gradually sort of upgrading my closet and selling off shoes I'm not wearing. I've sold 8 pairs since May either on the forum or through eBay. I've got two incoming though ...

There's not very much I "need" so I'm pretty selective about other clothing purchases at this point. I wear out a few shirts a year, but lately I've either been lucky on eBay or I just wait for the H&K and Mr Porter sales. I wear gray flannels a lot in winter so I go through a pair of those about every year or two. Other than that I sort of look out for my favorite brands of ties and pocket squares, but my closet is pretty set right now. There's a local charity I've donated bags of stuff too, and a local consignment shop I've dumped some of the better things at. I've used forums, eBay and LuxeSwap (Spoo's consignment service) too.

I suppose everyone has seen PTO's "The Essential Man's Wardrobe" post: http://putthison.com/post/712103418/...rhaps-the-most
    Manton has a good thread on SF too: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/i...-dressed/0_100

I'm pretty set on all that stuff except a good tweed jacket, and I don't think I look very good in a DB jacket so I don't have that either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have a Pareto wardrobe thing going on... 20% of my entire wardrobe accounts for 80% usage.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    I made plenty of shoe mistakes when I first sort of started rebuilding my wardrobe either through eBay or just pouncing on every Shoebank sale. Now I'm a lot more selective and am gradually sort of upgrading my closet and selling off shoes I'm not wearing.
    i would have been all over the upcoming 2 for 250 sale but after buying my first pair of carmina, the shapes of some of my AE bother me. the spanish last is so much nicer, and the fit and finish of it is miles better. they remind me of the lobb's i play with at barneys. now i'm afraid i'm going to have to buy full priced carminas going forward

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post
    i would have been all over the upcoming 2 for 250 sale but after buying my first pair of carmina, the shapes of some of my AE bother me. the spanish last is so much nicer, and the fit and finish of it is miles better. they remind me of the lobb's i play with at barneys. now i'm afraid i'm going to have to buy full priced carminas going forward
    Your Carminas look great! (If anyone missed 'em: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post128873) My wife has a pair of Carmina boots that are really nice too, but I haven't tried the brand yet. For me it was after I got a few pairs of C&J that I started noticing things I didn't like about my AEs: 6 eyelet bals, stubby cap toe, boring lasts, etc. Plus I have wide-ish feet, usually an E in AE lace ups, D in loafers. The standard widths in C&J and AS are wider through the middle of the foot where my foot is wider, and then taper more than AE so not only are they more comfortable, but I think they are also more attractive. I still wear my remaining AEs all the time though and the brand is a great gateway drug into better footwear. I'm just not really looking to buy them anymore either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    same, the AE's are still good quality shoes, they just don't excite me anymore. i know others here have voiced similar thoughts of moving on from AE, they really are a gateway to a lifetime of pricey shoes!