Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: Current state of the shoe collection

  1. #151
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Wow. That's a lot of work for a casual weekend warrior guy like me. But damn, I bet it sure makes the shoe(s) look awesome.

  2. #152
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. That's a lot of work for a casual weekend warrior guy like me. But damn, I bet it sure makes the shoe(s) look awesome.
    If this is in reference to edge dressing, I find it to be the easiest/quickest part of shining a shoe. The AE version at least is kind of just like a marker or paint pen you run around the edges of the sole.

  3. #153
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. That's a lot of work for a casual weekend warrior guy like me. But damn, I bet it sure makes the shoe(s) look awesome.
    Just be careful and not an idiot like me that got the bottle of the stuff, bumped the table, spilled it and ruined a $500 rug.

  4. #154
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    @Deke any chance of leakage on to the shoe itself? That's my concern, that my ability stick to the stitching on the shoe wouldn't be exact and I'd leak up on to the leather of the shoe.

    @hockeysc23 yikes! That's not good. Hopefully the new rug was/is just as nice though.

  5. #155
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,404
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    The edges of the sole. Where the front of the walnut Strand and chili 5th Avenue are scuffed, for example. They sell edge dressing in a bottle to remedy that, and it makes your shoes look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. That's a lot of work for a casual weekend warrior guy like me. But damn, I bet it sure makes the shoe(s) look awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    If this is in reference to edge dressing, I find it to be the easiest/quickest part of shining a shoe. The AE version at least is kind of just like a marker or paint pen you run around the edges of the sole.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Deke any chance of leakage on to the shoe itself? That's my concern, that my ability stick to the stitching on the shoe wouldn't be exact and I'd leak up on to the leather of the shoe.

    @hockeysc23 yikes! That's not good. Hopefully the new rug was/is just as nice though.
    Edge dressing is easy to use, as long as you don't spill it. while I have some and use it sometimes I find that black or dark brown shoe polish does the trick as well.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  6. #156
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Edge dressing is easy to use, as long as you don't spill it. while I have some and use it sometimes I find that black or dark brown shoe polish does the trick as well.
    Oh now you tell me!

  7. #157
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Six years later but I'd say the OP has a good versatile collection.

    My collection is 17 pairs.

    3 workboots in steel toe, plain toe, and total beaters.

    2 sneakers in casual stylish (Puma Lega) and workout trainers (Nike something).

    That leaves 12 pairs of dress shoes:

    -- AE Exchange Place oxford, black

    -- AE Exchange Place oxford, brown

    -- AE 5th Avenue oxford, burgundy

    -- AE chukka, brown

    -- AE Normandy boot, brown, leather sole

    -- AE Normandy boot, brown, rubber sole

    -- Aquatalia chukka, brown suede

    -- Gordon Rush chukka, tan suede

    -- Clarks desert boot, grey suede

    -- Crocket & Jones derby, brown

    -- Johnston & Murphy derby, walnut

    -- Johnston & Murphy derby, brown, rubber sole (bad weather dress beaters)

    On the one hand I feel like Imelda Marcos with all these shoes but on the other they all have a purpose, so at the moment I'm mostly okay with my collection although I have a persistent urge to downsize.

  8. #158
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    My current collection:

    Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue (brown)
    Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue (black)
    Allen Edmonds Fifth Street boot (brown)
    Allen Edmonds Strand (walnut)
    Yanko double monk on 915 last (burgundy)
    Meermin tassel loafer on hiro last (suede)
    Carmina oxford on detroit last (black)
    Carmina tassel loafer on rain last (brown)
    Carmina oxford on rain last (dark burgundy with burnishing)
    Carmina full brogue on rain last (brown)
    Carmina double monk on inca last (brown)
    Vass v cap oxford in F last (brown)
    Vass wingtip in F last (museum gold)
    Sons of Henrey split toe (dark brown)

  9. #159
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    @oxfordsandties @Slubby Linen

    Gentlemen, I think we need pics.

  10. #160
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Good point. I'll see if I can get some pics up...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •