Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the shoe collection

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I think I got into Alden because of their history and their quality construction. They are one of the very few American shoe makers left in business. Their styles are classic and don't change very much, but they still have all the varieties I need, and I am now familiar with their sizing and lasts.

No offense to Allen Edmonds, but I think the Aldens are slightly better in quality. The leather keeps it shape and the shoes show minimal creasing and still look supple after several years.

I used to buy $50 shoes when I started out, but they would only last 1-2 years. Now I never have any problems with leather cracking or drying or the soles coming apart. I'd rather have an old quality item, than a new cheaper item.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqwayne93 View Post
    May I ask why Alden?
    For me, I prefer Aldens because their Barrie and TruBalance lasts work great with my feet. AE's would always pinch my pinky toes so I had to branch out and try some different brands. Aldens lasts are a bit clunky though so I own them mostly for bluchers and boots. For dress shoes I go with British brands.

All that being said, I did just recently order some Strawfuts from the Shoe bank and am considering the Kenilworths since I need brown bluchers and they aren't as chunky as the Alden PTB's.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    So around this time last year I stumbled upon this site. My first ever high quality pair of shoes that I ended purchasing was the Allen Edmonds 5th Ave in Bourbon... Then it progressed...

From Left to Right: Church's Ryder III, AE Strand in Walnut, AE McAllister in Merlot, and AE Fifth Ave in Bourbon.

Next most of my style inspiration comes from the DC era of James Bond.

From Left to Right: C&J Tetbury, C&J Alex, and C&J Highbury

More recently, I've just been branching out...

From Left to Right: Carmina "Frankenstitch", C&J Islay, Carmina Burgundy Derby Boot

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    @Vanquish and @Vicious49, you have some of the most extensive collections. How many of your items see no play in the rotation?

2 of my 7 get minimal wear, so I should be downsizing.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)
    Mine has changed quite a bit since I last posted pics here. I'll try to get some updated pics during Thanksgiving week since I'm on vacation during that time.

The only ones of mine that see minimal time now are the 4 pairs of dress shoes I own. When I go to a wedding, interview, etc is the only time I get to wear them so maybe 4 times a year total between them. My boots used to see more time before I moved to TX. It did get colder here this last week so I got a chance to wear them again. My suede shoes see more time during spring and summer. In general, everything but the dress shoes see rotation time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    @LCDR, I try to rotate everything as best as possible, but I haven't worn the Alex nearly as much as the rest of my shoe rotation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    @Vicious49, agree about the dress shoes. My black calfskin perforated capote is plenty enough for suits, and I can also rotate I my brown calf longwings if needed. I'll look forward to your pictures.

With so many shoes, they also need to be cared for. I usually use conditioner on them at least every six months.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    @Vanquish, amazing collection. The Frankenstitch especially is such a beautiful boot.

I hope someday soon I'll have the time to take some pictures of my collection, but since joining this site roughly a year and a half ago, my collection has grown... And grown. To start I had serious doubts about even purchasing Beckman boots at 50% off, but those days are long gone and now I also have Allen Edmonds, Riders, Tricker's, Meermin, C&J, and Quoddy in my collection. It's really an unhealthy obsession. They almost all get some regular wear though, although some of them are seasonal. Except for my black Park Avenues, which are reserved for formal occasions like weddings and interviews.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    nice thread.............

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    My current shoe collection:

Top Left to Bottom Right
    1. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue - Black
    2. Allen Edmonds McAllister - Dark Brown
    3. Allen Edmonds Cordovan Bradley
    4. Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots - Chromexcel
    5. Austen Heller Classic Driving Loafers - Brown
    6. Velasca RILAS└A Loafers - Brown
    7. Velasca REGOL└ Loafers - Black
    8. Beckett Simonon Plain Toe Blucher - Brown

Overall all these shoes are in my regular rotation except the Austen Hellers (only wear those in the summer.) The Beckett Simonon PTB are not great and need to be replaced with higher quality shoes.