Thread: Something similar to Filson Original Brief?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Something similar to Filson Original Brief?

I want to buy one of these, but I always like to look for something cheaper but similar first.
    I love a navy with brown leather brief/laptop bag.
    http://www.filson.com/products/origi...taProduct=1019

I also like the new tweed-accented version. also in navy (i have a blue obsession)
    http://www.filson.com/products/twill...taProduct=1019

Any thoughts? Or should I just man up and get one of them? They could definitely be more expensive. Not a terrible price, really. Just wanted to see what is out there!

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    J.Crew Factory sells a very similar bag, I got one for about $40 during a sale/promotion a year or so ago. Unless I'm mistaken, however, they only come in one colorway (dark khaki canvas with brown leather details).

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...4056/54056.jsp

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; August 29th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have an in-person pic by chance? might be worth a look (even though i prefer navy)
    do you like it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I check out that JCF bag (along with their other bags) back during a 40% (or was it 50%) off store-wide sale. It seemes very nice for the low price. However, I passed on the laptop bag, because it seemed quite *flimsy*. I guess you could pack your laptop inside a neoprene padded case first or whatever, but I was really looking for a bag with some built-in support. Just something to consider; maybe.

LBD, is that assessment at all in line with your experience actually owning/using that bag? I *think* I'm thinking of the same bag. I mean JCF only has one line of bags, right?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    I really like the JCF bag, BUT it has a really thin leather bottom. I'm afraid a gash or cut in the leather would be a high probability.

For me, I'm waiting to snag a Jack Spade or other waxed cotton bag from a discounter like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I haven't used the JCF bag much (in part because I have a very nice Coach leather messenger that my parents gave me several years ago). As I recall, it's nice for a $40 bag, but it's still a $40 bag. The leather details feel plasticky and the canvas was nothing to write home about. It didn't necessarily feel flimsy to me, but it didn't strike me as a bag you'd own for a lifetime.

My thought is that it might be a nice placeholder to own for a few years while you save up for a bag that will be more of a lifetime purchase, like a nice leather briefcase or the Filson or whatever.
    Ben

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    For me, I'm waiting to snag a Jack Spade or other waxed cotton bag from a discounter like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
    Marshalls has had a few of the waxed JS ones for around $150 - saw one marked down to $100.

Also, if you have a Nordstrom Rack nearby, they tend to get some in from time to time too. The one near me just got a few JS nylon (I think) ones - they might have been canvas - I can't recall now. I just glanced them up on the rack - didn't really check them out in person.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    It didn't necessarily feel flimsy to me, but it didn't strike me as a bag you'd own for a lifetime.
    Maybe flimsy was a bad word choice. Dunno. I guess "unstructured" might be better. Regardless, sounds about right: worth the $, but not a "family heirloom." (hehe - just finished reading the $1K cufflinks thread) - Cool. Thanks for the personal use feedback.