Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Must say I am intrigued by this brand. I have only bought Jeans from Nordstrom Rack and want to try out Selvedge. The problem is I don't wear jeans a lot (weekends only pretty much) and they have to be lightweight due to Miami weather.
    You started at the right time then. They currently have this pair of light jeans going. They are 10 oz, the lightest denim Gustin has ever offered was 9 oz. I'm currently debating springing on these since I'd like a lighter pair for the summers here in Atlanta.
    Only problem with these is you won't get them until September, but in Miami that won't be much of a problem since it doesn't seem to start cooling off until the end of October (I lived in Daytona Beach for 3.5 years). Also, it's one of their more expensive pairs. Pairs are either $81 or $99, my first pair was $81 and the second pair which I should be getting next month was $99.

Agreed Vicious, the $20 would have been nice.
    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones25 View Post
    You started at the right time then. They currently have this pair of light jeans going. They are 10 oz, the lightest denim Gustin has ever offered was 9 oz. I'm currently debating springing on these since I'd like a lighter pair for the summers here in Atlanta.
    Only problem with these is you won't get them until September, but in Miami that won't be much of a problem since it doesn't seem to start cooling off until the end of October (I lived in Daytona Beach for 3.5 years). Also, it's one of their more expensive pairs. Pairs are either $81 or $99, my first pair was $81 and the second pair which I should be getting next month was $99.

Agreed Vicious, the $20 would have been nice.
    Those look really nice. I see this in their description "If you want an instantly comfortable pair of raw denim, this is it."....is this accurate. I thought raw denim took a while to break in and get comfortable? I'd assume the 10oz breaks in quicker.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    any fit recommendations, for the slim cut jeans?

i wear 30x30 levi's 511 (they feel a little on the tight side), 29x30 docker alphas (perfectly), 29x30 gap lived in slim chinos (tight also). i also have a proportionally larger thighs and calves relative to my waist size, so they tend to be tight while my waist might be loose.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post

i wear 30x30 levi's 511 (they feel a little on the tight side), 29x30 docker alphas (perfectly), 29x30 gap lived in slim chinos (tight also). i also have a proportionally larger thighs and calves relative to my waist size, so they tend to be tight while my waist might be loose.
    They have a pretty extensive Fit Guide that should tell you all you need to know.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Those look really nice. I see this in their description "If you want an instantly comfortable pair of raw denim, this is it."....is this accurate. I thought raw denim took a while to break in and get comfortable? I'd assume the 10oz breaks in quicker.
    Raw denim, especially the heavier weights won't be as instantly soft as denim that has undergone processes like stone (pumice) washing, or hand sanding, but all else being equal, it should last a lot longer, because those processes actually abrade the threads. If you are looking for softness, different denims have different characteristics, and yes the heavier ones are apt to feel stiffer, but softness is not only a matter for thickness, a lot goes into that, and I have felt some very soft raw denims. As far as my own experience goes, I got the Classic which is a mid weight Japanese denim. I bought them snug, so they would stretch to a comfortable fit, rather than stretch to a saggy fit, and I was rewarded with a pair that fit excellent after just a couple days wear. As far as softness goes, the fabric was slightly crispy, but less so than say a pair of Levis 501 STF. After a month plus of wear, the fit is still spot on, not saggy, and the feel of the fabric is about what you would expect of a newish pair of jeans, if a little heavier than your average pair of 501s.

So yeah I would say mine were comfortable quickly, but not necessarily perfectly comfortable the first time I put them on, and I at least don't really want them to be that soft at first, and chose a tighter fit so htye would not get baggy. I like the feel of a heavier weight denim, but if you want a softer, less "there" feel, I would suggest a lighter weight denim. The lefthand twill they have right now should be quite good. It's only 10 oz, and lefthand twill is known for having a soft hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post

I found mine are pretty true to size. Tighter than D1's and BR slim fit. If I had to take a stab at it I'd guess 30 since that's what you wear with Levi and the thighs do lean tight compared to my other pants. Definitely check out the fit guide that bjmcgeever linked to.

sub150: My pair did take a bit to break in, but I don't think it's as bad as you're thinking it will be. Mine were nice on the second wear. Just the first wear was a struggle. My pair is 12 oz and it's definitely crisper than the other jeans I've worn (Lee, Kenneth Cole, motorcycle jeans). I'm thinking the 10 oz pair will have the same one wear and it's broken in. As mattface said, the lefthand twill is supposedly softer (I only say supposedly since I don't have any firsthand experience).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Can't emphasize enough using the Fit Guide and measuring some of your best fitting pants/jeans for comparison. Keep in mind that raw denim will stretch some too. So many folks just ordered their "usual" size (in whatever brand) without referencing the guide, and that's why many people were trying to unload jeans that they'd ordered too small. Its still a bit daunting, I'm sure everyone who has placed an order will agree they fretted about whether their new Gustins would fit! Give it a shot though, because the end result is worth it. $61-79 for a pair of premium selvedge denim is a worthwhile purchase (at least in my denim-obsessed opinion)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a denim newbie, but am addicted already. I am a big fan of Gustin jeans and highly recommend you try it out. I own 3 pairs with 2 more on the way (the natural and greyxgrey), with plans of purchasing a lightweight 9oz if they release another one. Besides Gustin, I own three pairs of Levis made a crafted and generally Gustins are tighter/slimmer then Levis.

They are slimmer in the waist then many brands, however my experience so far is that the lighter selvage seems to break in and give you more room. If your around the bay area, get in touch with the team and they might have jeans you can try on. Follow their fit guide, it has worked for me.

If your jeans are to loose, I know this is a nono but washing may shrink your jeans a little. I washed my heavy 16oz jeans s 32 and they shrank a little and are comparable to my slim straight 32.

Great jeans and awesome people, and with the referral program a sweet deal!

If anyone is looking to unload a slim straight 31 light weight (or a regular) I'll take it off your hands. lmk
    Last edited by bruschetta; August 24th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redford View Post
    I registed via a link on reddit that's $25 off. Waiting for a grey color to come up though.
    Gray jeans are back with the Slate denim. Decision time again. Do I want gray jeans?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones25 View Post
    Gray jeans are back with the Slate denim. Decision time again. Do I want gray jeans?
    I want them ALL. I'm tempted by the Super Heavy, but I think I am holding out for another run of Heavy American, because that's closer to what I am looking for in the way of autumnal jeans.