Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Beckett Simonon now has a Goodyear-Welted collection

  1. #21
    Dappered Veteran shad0w4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    I'd suggest sending Joe two shoes and letting him review

  2. #22
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    I'd suggest sending Joe two shoes and letting him review
    +1. I guess linking to that Sargent was unfair. On this forum at that price point everyone is getting AE shoes from the Shoebank so that's a better comparision. I can tell a significant difference in quality between my AEs and my C&Js or Sargents so I'm happy spending more for them. I suspect I could also tell a significant difference between BS (unfortunate initials) and AE but if that's not the case then they may be a good deal for the $. Hard to say until someone has actually seen a pair.

  3. #23
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,600
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Hard to say until someone has actually seen a pair.
    One of the users posted earlier that he's had a pair. Putthison did a review a while back and it wasn't very favorable either. But then again, they might have been comparing to much higher end shoes which isn't fair to BS.

  4. #24
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    3. These shoes can in fact be resoled and we are looking to establish partnerships with selected US cobblers to make the process seamless. I guess the reasoning of asking if it’s worth paying for a resoling of a $135 shoes is short-term focused. As you guys cleverly point, Goodyear-Welted shoes are a long-term investment. I’m not a numbers guy but the answer seems pretty clear to me.

    Case 1. $310 shoes + 2 resole jobs at $75 each = $460

    Case 2. $125 shoes + 2 resole jobs at $75 each = $285
    The problem is that resoling $125 dollar shoes for $75 still makes little to no sense. You forgot to mention case 3, which is:
    Buy the same $125 shoes three times, for a total of $375 dollars, have uppers that look better over the course of those three years, get the flexibility to change styles or pick something a bit different, etc.

    Also, those $310 shoes you mentioned? After a couple of resolings, if in a common size, I could plausibly still see them going on ebay for around $100. The $125 shoes? Not a chance; why would anybody pay for used ones when they could get new ones for $125.

    Looking at it from another angle, let's assume that by the time the shoe gets to needing resoling, it's value will be about half of its original post resole (this is being a bit generous, considering that shoes could plausibly see a similar depreciation curve to cars, which we know do NOT retain half of their original value after a couple years even when well maintained). Then, after paying for a 75 dollar resoling, I will have shoes that are worth about $63? Will I want to pay for the resole? Not likely; it would make sense to just buy new shoes!

    125 dollar Goodyear welts is a lot like 100 dollar (or, God forbid, $35 haha) automatic watches; when you have to pay 100 dollars just to get it serviced, it might be easier and make more sense to get a new one as opposed to get the service. That's not to say 100 dollar automatics have no place in our wardrobes (some of us, myself included, just like having an automatic for reasons other than longevity), just as there is a plus to having 125 dollar Goodyear welted shoes (as somebody mentioned, they're more comfortable? I wouldn't know; it's hard to afford nice shoes when you're trying to pay for a quarter of a million dollar education). It's just that there's little to no point in getting them resoled.

    After seeing specs that look like this:
    "Goodyear Welted construction.
    Full grain leather upper.
    Full leather lining.
    Leather sole."
    I can comfortably see these shoes being worth the ticket price. I just don't see the use in getting them resoled. I'd pay for them if I needed shoes, but not necessarily because of the Goodyear welt.

  5. #25
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    One of the users posted earlier that he's had a pair. Putthison did a review a while back and it wasn't very favorable either. But then again, they might have been comparing to much higher end shoes which isn't fair to BS.
    Nicholas seems to be saying that the Goodyear welted shoes use better leathers so these are probably new creations. I'm skeptical, but we'll see once someone reviews the new models.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The problem is that resoling $125 dollar shoes for $75 still makes little to no sense. You forgot to mention case 3, which is:
    Buy the same $125 shoes three times, for a total of $375 dollars, have uppers that look better over the course of those three years, get the flexibility to change styles or pick something a bit different, etc.

    Also, those $310 shoes you mentioned? After a couple of resolings, if in a common size, I could plausibly still see them going on ebay for around $100. The $125 shoes? Not a chance; why would anybody pay for used ones when they could get new ones for $125.

    Looking at it from another angle, let's assume that by the time the shoe gets to needing resoling, it's value will be about half of its original post resole (this is being a bit generous, considering that shoes could plausibly see a similar depreciation curve to cars, which we know do NOT retain half of their original value after a couple years even when well maintained). Then, after paying for a 75 dollar resoling, I will have shoes that are worth about $63? Will I want to pay for the resole? Not likely; it would make sense to just buy new shoes!

    125 dollar Goodyear welts is a lot like 100 dollar (or, God forbid, $35 haha) automatic watches; when you have to pay 100 dollars just to get it serviced, it might be easier and make more sense to get a new one as opposed to get the service. That's not to say 100 dollar automatics have no place in our wardrobes (some of us, myself included, just like having an automatic for reasons other than longevity), just as there is a plus to having 125 dollar Goodyear welted shoes (as somebody mentioned, they're more comfortable? I wouldn't know; it's hard to afford nice shoes when you're trying to pay for a quarter of a million dollar education). It's just that there's little to no point in getting them resoled.

    After seeing specs that look like this:
    "Goodyear Welted construction.
    Full grain leather upper.
    Full leather lining.
    Leather sole."
    I can comfortably see these shoes being worth the ticket price. I just don't see the use in getting them resoled. I'd pay for them if I needed shoes, but not necessarily because of the Goodyear welt.
    Can't really argue with any of this.

  6. #26
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,600
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Can't really argue with any of this.
    Except the quarter million dollar education. Where the heck is he going to school that it costs $60K a year?

  7. #27
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Except the quarter million dollar education. Where the heck is he going to school that it costs $60K a year?
    4 years of undergrad + 3 years of law school can certainly get you there. I finally paid off all mine, but my wife's is a 30 year loan. We'll still be paying it when our kids are in college, gulp!

  8. #28
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Except the quarter million dollar education. Where the heck is he going to school that it costs $60K a year?
    You must be several years out of school Vicious. I graduated in '12 and my undergrad cost $55,000 a year as did a whole heck of a lot of private schools. Don't even need grad school to get real close to a quarter million.

  9. #29
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    With the "Esq" after your name AJG I was assuming you had law school in there too.

  10. #30
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Except the quarter million dollar education. Where the heck is he going to school that it costs $60K a year?
    Erm a really expensive, really famous and selective place somewhere in the Bay Area... *awkward*

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •