Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sales" that are still too expensive for most of us

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

"Sales" that are still too expensive for most of us

I love Put This On and the clothing they feature but get tired of reading these "sale" posts for things that I still can't afford even though they're "deeply" discounted. Stuff like this just turns me off because it's obvious that you have to make a certain minimum salary to even contemplate regularly affording this kind of clothing. It just propagates the idea that a lot of menswear is only for rich people.

http://putthison.com/post/5517895626...may-know-i-put

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Matt, Put This On caters to a wealthier audience than Dappered. Most of us cannot afford to spend a great deal of money on clothing. I suspect that budget-conscious readers can still enjoy PTO sale threads if we make a note of the items that interest us, then find less expensive alternatives in the same style.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I would call the content Put This On specializes in as "Men's Fashion", where Dappered is "Men's Style". Don't confuse the two as one is hobby, and the other an approach to dressing yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Doesn't bother me at all. All the stuff you buy is unaffordable to someone out there. What's the difference? Just perspective.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I disagree entirely, ncfranklin. I wouldn't call PTO men's fashion, it still falls under men's style as the things discussed are largely the same types of things as on Dappered. They have excellent features on single items, makers, etc, and I still read it daily. It's got great depth of information on things like patterns, fabrics, and the history of men's style - almost a distilled and cultivated MC forum from SF. I do agree with the OP that the sales advertised there are typically of products of a more expensive nature, but they're not "fashion" brands (aside from maybe the most recent post on GATs, CPs, and MMM) and the items are still things that are a good value for the cost.

Matt, why does it turn you off? There are many places in this world where it's obvious you have to make a certain salary to even consider affording the items in question, from nightclubs to car dealerships to heck, even grocery stores. There have been and will always be certain businesses that cater to certain segments of the public and I don't see why you should have a problem with it. You keep going on with your life in these other areas. You make what you make, be happy with it and work with what you've got.

All of menswear is filled with people who believe it is worthwhile to spend a certain amount of money on their clothes. You five to ten years ago would probably think you today are crazy for spending as much as you do on clothes, even though you feel like it must pale in comparison to what PTO talks about. I can't (yet?) afford many of the brands on PTO but as bruschetta said, I still enjoy reading PTO because the items suggested and whatnot are still based on sound principles. Also, PTO isn't forcing you to buy anything! Use it as inspiration, as bruschetta said.

Additionally, if you read the language carefully instead of just looking at prices of linked items, the writers all clearly acknowledge that the items are expensive and thus not for everyone, and they offer discount codes - CODES! I mean, that if anything makes it clear to me that for Jesse et al. at PTO, men's style is not some velvet-rope club.

If it's still a problem for you, it's a personal problem, and not a PTO problem. After all, why should a website be just for you? ("that I still can't afford"). You have Dappered, Effortless Gent (which I'm not a big fan of but can be decent once in a while), Primer, Reddit's FMF, ThisFits (sorta), and many more. Let PTO keep doing what it does, it fills a niche that none of these (not even Dappered) occupies with not only its sales but also its content.

Sorry, rant off. I just get annoyed when people think it's okay to knock on somebody or something that's perceived to be (or even is) more exclusive/expensive/wealthy - it's not.
    Last edited by LosRockets; July 11th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I actually just picked up the Loake chukkas they linked to in one of those sales. It's $200 but I figure if I can sell my AE Malvern chukkas on fleabay, it might only run me about $100.

They have some less expensive deals on their occasionally as well, but yes most of the stuff they list is out of my price range.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    I don't understand the point of this complaint. Of course there are going to be things you find cheap, medium priced, and expensive. Clothing has a wide spectrum of pricing for a wide spectrum of people with different tastes and degrees of wealth. Not everything is going to be cheap.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Liu View Post
    Doesn't bother me at all. All the stuff you buy is unaffordable to someone out there. What's the difference? Just perspective.
    This is very true. $20 shoes are unaffordable to some, while others think $200 shoes are unaffordable, while someone else might think $1000 shoes are unaffordable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    One thing to keep in mind is that sites like PTO (and Styleforum) also cater to people who LOVE men's style and menswear, sometimes as works of art even, while Dappered caters to people who want to dress better on a budget. Even with an equivalent salary, someone who LOVES menswear will spend more on an item then someone who merely wants to look good. I thought the salary poll on Styleforum was fascinating, although somewhat scientifically non-rigorous, as the salary breakdown skewed lower than I personally expected given what I imagine people were spending.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I saw $100 shirts, $60 ties, and $200 shoes in those links. Didn't look to bad to me. Also note the pound to US conversion has swayed heavily in our favor in the last 5 years...and a 40 pound tie is 60$.