Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Sales" that are still too expensive for most of us

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Matt, why does it turn you off? There are many places in this world where it's obvious you have to make a certain salary to even consider affording the items in question, from nightclubs to car dealerships to heck, even grocery stores. There have been and will always be certain businesses that cater to certain segments of the public and I don't see why you should have a problem with it. You keep going on with your life in these other areas. You make what you make, be happy with it and work with what you've got.

All of menswear is filled with people who believe it is worthwhile to spend a certain amount of money on their clothes. You five to ten years ago would probably think you today are crazy for spending as much as you do on clothes, even though you feel like it must pale in comparison to what PTO talks about. I can't (yet?) afford many of the brands on PTO but as bruschetta said, I still enjoy reading PTO because the items suggested and whatnot are still based on sound principles. Also, PTO isn't forcing you to buy anything! Use it as inspiration, as bruschetta said.

Additionally, if you read the language carefully instead of just looking at prices of linked items, the writers all clearly acknowledge that the items are expensive and thus not for everyone, and they offer discount codes - CODES! I mean, that if anything makes it clear to me that for Jesse et al. at PTO, men's style is not some velvet-rope club.

If it's still a problem for you, it's a personal problem, and not a PTO problem. After all, why should a website be just for you? ("that I still can't afford"). You have Dappered, Effortless Gent (which I'm not a big fan of but can be decent once in a while), Primer, Reddit's FMF, ThisFits (sorta), and many more. Let PTO keep doing what it does, it fills a niche that none of these (not even Dappered) occupies with not only its sales but also its content.

Sorry, rant off. I just get annoyed when people think it's okay to knock on somebody or something that's perceived to be (or even is) more exclusive/expensive/wealthy - it's not.
    I didn't mean to rip or put down PTO, indeed I read it daily for the exact same reasons you mention and have nothing but the utmost respect for Jesse (LOVE his Bullseye podcast) and Derek. Yes, I recognize that it's more of a personal issue of mine to feel frustration/jealousy when reading about anything I'd like to have (whether it be music, clothing, shoes, etc.) but can't afford - it's something I'm working on. Sorry if it came off as whining.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onerany View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that sites like PTO (and Styleforum) also cater to people who LOVE men's style and menswear, sometimes as works of art even, while Dappered caters to people who want to dress better on a budget. Even with an equivalent salary, someone who LOVES menswear will spend more on an item then someone who merely wants to look good. I thought the salary poll on Styleforum was fascinating, although somewhat scientifically non-rigorous, as the salary breakdown skewed lower than I personally expected given what I imagine people were spending.
    Point taken, as well. My problem is that I have multiple hobbies/interests I like to spend discretionary income on (music, books, movies) whereas many clothing enthusiasts likely spend most of theirs on clothing and shoes.
    Last edited by MattRicketts; July 11th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onerany View Post
    I thought the salary poll on Styleforum was fascinating, although somewhat scientifically non-rigorous, as the salary breakdown skewed lower than I personally expected given what I imagine people were spending.
    I suspect it's because many of the people on SF who make/spend a lot of money think the guy who ran the poll is a troll. The salaries of many of the regulars skews very high, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I'd imagine the most popular posters make more money. They acquire more and better things and so have more to speak of.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I agree with the others, I use the posts on sites like that as inspiration for looks I like. Also something to look forward to when I make more money in the years to come (fresh out of college, don't have much but didn't expect to). Hell, I can't even afford a lot of the stuff on dappered, mostly because I can't shop for clothes every week.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRicketts View Post
    Point taken, as well. My problem is that I have multiple hobbies/interests I like to spend discretionary income on (music, books, movies) whereas many clothing enthusiasts likely spend most of theirs on clothing and shoes.
    It's the same thing in all those other hobbies. Not everyone can afford a 1965 335 Gibson, or a 90" led tv, etc but people are going to point out when there's a deal for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRicketts View Post
    I love Put This On and the clothing they feature but get tired of reading these "sale" posts for things that I still can't afford even though they're "deeply" discounted. Stuff like this just turns me off because it's obvious that you have to make a certain minimum salary to even contemplate regularly affording this kind of clothing. It just propagates the idea that a lot of menswear is only for rich people.

http://putthison.com/post/5517895626...may-know-i-put
    I like the site as well for inspiration, but I'm of the opinion that you don't need to spend a whole lot in order to look good.

You shouldn't feel that you have to buy expensive clothes in order to look stylish. I see plenty of men walking around with expensive designer labels on and they still look awful.

Style can't be bought!
    Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.