Thread: A Gin Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Gin Thread

Finding that there are all manner of beer, bourbon, whisk(e)y, scotch, etc threads- any gin drinkers out there? I live in Washington, and we have several fantastic craft distilleries popping up, in addition to the standard large brands (Hendricks is preference in a martini).

What about you guys? Any gins that are must-haves? Good bargains? Good gin drinks?
    -DESR
    http://deanfortythree.wordpress.com/
    https://twitter.com/deanfortythree

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    If you look at the Your Favorite Cocktail thread, there's been a good bit of gin-related discussion, especially in the past couple of months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I saw that there were a lot of recipes with some brand discussion mixed in, but I thought a thread might be in order for brand discussion and the like, rather than derail that thread (also makes it easier to refer back to).
    Last edited by deanfortythree; July 10th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    -DESR
    http://deanfortythree.wordpress.com/
    https://twitter.com/deanfortythree

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Good point. The past three gins I've had at home have been Tanqueray Ten, Brokers, and Boodles. TT is really fruit/citrus forward; it almost tastes like lemon/lime soda (Sprite, 7up, etc.) which made it great in cocktails that included fruit. Brokers is a great deal for the price; I've seen it for less than $20. I've only had Boodles for a couple weeks, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I'm on board with a dedicated gin thread. My current favorites are anything from the St. George distillery, in particular the Botanivore (just make sure you put it in a simple cocktail without a lot of adornment because you don't want to drown out all of the flavor). For more complicated cocktails, I'm a big fan of Broker's or Bombay Dry (not Sapphire).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I used to prefer Bombay Sapphire first, Tangueray second. That was back in the mid-'90s, when my go-to cocktail was gin&tonic.

I've since kicked tonic to the curb, and have become more of a whiskey (preferring Rye first, bourbon second) drinker, both in cocktails and rocks/neat.

However, in the warmer months, especially Summertime by the pool, I usually opt for gin over whiskey. Presently I have three bottles in rotation: Hendricks, Broker's and Gordon's.

I prefer Hendricks for rocks drinks, Broker's for really simple one-mixer type cocktails like say gin&soda, and Gordon's for drinks where the gin may get a little more lost in the mix (Tom Collins, Negroni, Fitzgerald, etc); in other words when I'm not overly interested in the complexity of the gin's flavor cycle.

Still, sometimes I just grab the closest or fullest bottle. Not an exact science, as it were.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I've cycled through a few preferred gins recently (Plymouth, Beefeater 24, Deaths Door, and Smooth Ambler) but I keep reaching for my Barrel Aged Bols Genever nowadays. It's simply fantastic. Really want to try Botanist Gin soon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    With my Hendrick's bottle nearing the end of it's life-cycle, I stopped this afternoon to pick up another one. Been utilizing Hendrick's for pretty much rocks-only drinks (often with a lime wedge garnish/squirt), and Gordon's for gin-based long drinks (cocktails) by (and in) the pool. For the most part those cocktails have been Gin Rickeys - trying very hard to keep the sugar/simple syrup/sweeteners out of the mix altogether.

However I noticed for the first time at this particular local liquor store (one of the two in the area that I like to patronize) a bottle of *Bluecoat - American Dry Gin*. I thought I had read a few good things about it here on Dappered (and possibly on Primer Magazine's site too), so I went for it. I haven't tried it rocks-only yet, but it was very nice in the *tall* Rickey I made, and drank while BBQing and swimming with the fam later in the evening.

I should search the threads, but in the meanwhile any personal thoughts on Bluecoat?

(I might copy this into the Favorite Cocktail thread too, as that one seems to have a much bigger exposure/readership - so apologies in advance for a dupe, if I indeed do dupe.)
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 11th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.