Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J Crew Warehouse sale - $40 Ludlow suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

J Crew Warehouse sale - $40 Ludlow suits.

So J Crew has two distribution centers, one in Lynchburg, VA and another in Arden, NC - near my hometown of Asheville. They both have a small "warehouse" store attached to them, which is usually stocked with a decent, if limited, selection of deeply discounted "seconds". But the real reason to visit them is to sign up for their warehouse e-mail list, as this is the only way that they announce their warehouse sales. A few times each year, they open up a large part of their warehouse and stock it full of clothing and accessories for sale.

I went to my first one this Saturday, and it was crazy fun. Here are some photos.

I arrived an hour before the doors opened, and there was already a line of about 300 people, mostly women. Some people had even camped over night, which I thought was a bit much, because when the doors opened, I was inside within 5 minutes. You are handed a large plastic garbage bag and a price list and you are herded into a large room filled with folding tables and loaded with boxes. The boxes are sorted by gender, but apart from that, they are packed randomly. One box I sorted through was filled with swimsuits, two sweaters, a blazer and single sock. It was a bit frantic, as people were burrowing through boxes and trying on clothes over their clothing. Did I mention there was no dressing rooms? But everyone kept it civil.

My final tally:

7 dress shirts at $10 each
    this winter coat (in olive) for $50
    and two slim Ludlow suits (one in navy, the other in charcoal) for $40 each

I checked everything carefully, and apart for a few wrinkles, everything seemed flawless. And, as luck would have it, the Ludlow jacket in a 42R fits me perfectly, no alterations needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm very jealous.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Warehouse sales are fun, unfortunately I don't know if my city's a major distribution hub for any clothing brands. I did go to a cookware warehouse sale around Thanksgiving a few years back, it was exciting! Walked away with a set of stainless tri-ply clad cookware and a bunch of knives that I gave as gifts that season. Would have flipped if I pulled that coat out of a box, or those Ludlow suits. Sounds awesome!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    That's pretty incredible, congratulations on your haul.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That would of been fun. My sister would have made me camp overnight with her. Congrats on your great finds.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Not a big fan of the Ludlow shirts. Anyone else think those collars are just too small?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    They are small, but overall the shirt is very well made. Great fabric, nice construction.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    Not a big fan of the Ludlow shirts. Anyone else think those collars are just too small?
    They are too long for me (the shirt that is, not the collar). They were about 2 inches longer in the body than their secret wash shirts. For someone who is 5'8", that's no bueno.

Lynchburg is a 3.5 hour drive for me. Maybe next time I head south, I'll make a detour there just to sign up for this email list. I'd make a drive once a year for this warehouse sale.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    They are too long for me (the shirt that is, not the collar). They were about 2 inches longer in the body than their secret wash shirts. For someone who is 5'8", that's no bueno.
    Would you wear them untucked? If they stay tucked in, why should length be a factor?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    i wish jcrew dress shirts were longer. i'm only 5'10" and they are short enough that the gussets (which are frequently contrasting colors) are exactly at my belt line, meaning i have to tuck them in constantly to hide them.