Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's that smell? - all things fragrant (colognes, parfums, aftershaves, etc.)

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    and don't forget the coffee bean smelling in between scents.
    Yep. I put a bunch of beans in a Glencairn glass and sniffed that between scents when I was testing all those decants. I posted it in another thread, but here's what I got a couple of days ago:

I've come to realize my sense of smell is pretty terrible compared to my wife's. Plus it doesn't really matter if I like it, if she doesn't it's not really in my best interest to wear it, knowhutimean? The two I had been wearing were Hermes Rocabar and Terre d'Hermes. Of all those above, really the only ones I'm considering buying are the Ormande Man, Creed Aventus and Green Irish Tweed. I'm gonna wear 'em on my skin (as opposed to testing paper) and see how those three wear in the next few days.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I find this thread interesting because it exists in a world in which I can never take part. Perfume of any kind causes my nose to clog and it impedes my breathing. As a result, I dislike being around anyone who wears strong perfume or cologne.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    I find this thread interesting because it exists in a world in which I can never take part. Perfume of any kind causes my nose to clog and it impedes my breathing. As a result, I dislike being around anyone who wears strong perfume or cologne.
    Ditto.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    I put a bunch of beans in a Glencairn glass ...
    Bruschetta is probably appalled that I used a Glencairn glass for this.
    EDIT: and tdig.
    Last edited by Fred G. Unn; June 6th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a cologne fan. You know who else is? Women :-P

My scent of the moment is actually Banana Republic M. It smells like a designer fragrance despite picking it up for $26. I tend to like the crisp, citrusy scents.

Others in rotation:
    Dolce Gabbana Sport
    YSL L'Homme
    Giorgio Armani Aqua di Gio

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Other than ordering a bunch of small samples online, are there any good ways to experiment and try out a variety of scents? Not in a store/mall, those are too crowded and smelly already for any meaningful decision making.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueflame View Post
    Other than ordering a bunch of small samples online, are there any good ways to experiment and try out a variety of scents? Not in a store/mall, those are too crowded and smelly already for any meaningful decision making.
    I've had great experiences at places like Sephora and Nordstrom. They are very giving with samples. For higher-end niche house fragrances, like Creed, Bond No.9, etc., you have to either find a really friendly SA and/or seem verrrrrrry interested in purchasing something. Just my experience. YMMV.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I'm new to this, but the small samples online thing seems pretty great so far. Perfumed Court and Surrender to Chance seem like two of the biggest. For brands that Sephora carries, they have the little strips for sampling, but they generally steer towards the more mass market brands. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but checking out the boutique brands seems more interesting. I'd much rather wear something more unique. If all the people that are really into fragrances say brand "X" is worth checking out, then I'll at least give them a shot, especially if I can get a 1ml decant for $3-5 instead of dropping $100+ on a bottle. Apparently everything smells different on your skin vs a paper strip, so I have about a month's worth of fragrances to try if I'm to wear a different one every day.

Wore Ormande Man today. I like this one. I think I liked it better on paper than on my skin though. It's a bit different than anything else and I could actually see myself ordering it. Hermes Rocabar and Terre d'Hermes are my two standbys that I'm judging everything against.

Of course it's now overpowered by the Aberlour a'bunadh that I'm currently drinking. I do know how Glencairn glasses are supposed to be used

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    For higher-end niche house fragrances, like Creed, Bond No.9, etc., you have to either find a really friendly SA and/or seem verrrrrrry interested in purchasing something.
    Honestly super high end stores are cool too as long as you dress the part, which often just means wearing nice shoes. I really think a lot of SAs judge you mostly by the shoes. The first time I tried a bunch of Creeds was a couple of months ago at Bergdorfs on 5th Ave. I was dressed decently (wearing C&Js) and decided to go in to basically drool over their shoes. I passed the Creed counter and tried several out. I have to be in midtown a couple of days next week, so I might go back to sample a couple of others for free

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    I have to be in midtown a couple of days next week, so I might go back to sample a couple of others for free
    Are they just giving you free full sample vials, Fred? Or are you talking about simply spritzing some on from the main tester bottles? The Bond and Creed counters nearby here are pretty stingy with the official take-home samples. I've gotten a few (Bonds, mostly - their "bon-bons") - but it sure as hell wasn't like asking for some designer fragrance samples at Sephora, where they give ya three samples pretty much just for walking in the door. Maybe I need to get me some C&Js.