10 50.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meermin or AE Rutledge

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    AE is far from "quality" , some of the seconds they give to people is absurd. It's more of a do you support overpriced but made in USA products? They sold me 4 pairs of seconds for $100 ea.
    IMHO, if you're shopping seconds/outlet stores, iffy quality comes with the territory. I know a lot of people on here do it, but I can't imagine buying a pair of seconds (i.e. shoes with a known defect) sight unseen and expecting them to look like a shoe off the show room floor. It's a gamble. Hopefully you luck out and get shoes with a defect that doesn't bother you, but it's going to differ from person to person.

Firsts are expensive, I agree, but in regards to the other readily available options out there, I don't think they're unfairly priced for what you get.
    Last edited by Deke; May 30th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say Meermin's slightly ahead in quality. And as far as looks go, I don't think AEs can compete with most respectable European brands - obviously this depends somewhat on the different lasts, but Meermin is so much sleeker. (I've often heard AEs described as "blobby" and if I'm spending that much, the looks need to match the quality.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Meermins are made in China and finished in Spain, including their top end MTO models. That is not saying Meermins are not as good if not better in quality than the AEs. I know for a fact the top end Meermins have better leather than the AEs. With that said, I would pick AE because if there is anything wrong, you know you will be taken care of in a timely fashion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roklobster View Post
    With that said, I would pick AE because if there is anything wrong, you know you will be taken care of in a timely fashion.
    This is true. Allen Edmonds customer service is top notch.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roklobster View Post
    I would pick AE because if there is anything wrong, you know you will be taken care of in a timely fashion.
    Or be called, and have it implied you're cheap because you bought seconds I have to get that jab in every time, I'm still irked about that CS lady and it was all over a review of me saying I loved to colour and style, mentioned the shoe was quite warm, even mentioned they were also from the shoebank.

Don't forget if you aren't in the US, it's a timely expensive fashion; unless there's a local store than can take care of you. Just to not make everyone scared of ordering from overseas, Herring sent me the wrong size so they sent me a second pair free telling me to find a good home for the wrong size, so they went to someone quite deserving on dappered
    Last edited by shad0w4life; May 30th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Or be called, and have it implied you're cheap because you bought seconds
    That just reminded me something that happened last week when I tried to return a pair of Ralph Lauren ordered from the Shoebank at my local AE store. I usually buy multiple sizes and returns the ones that doesn't fit to the Southcoast location. The guy must have thought I was stupid when I tried to return a pair of Ralph Laurens at the Allen Edmonds store. Then I reminded him that they make some of the RL shoes and I ordered it straight from AE. It still took him a good 15 mins to figure out what the model number is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Merriman was on my radar till I read the numerous reviews and found quality control is in question. I own the Rutledge in walnut via factory second store and it is a wonderful shoe. I'm sure Merriman can be a great product but right now it seems there are too many misses.