Thread: Gustin Jeans Fit Question

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Gustin Jeans Fit Question

Hey all,

So after seeing Joe's mention of Gustin jeans on the main page a little bit ago I have been checking them out and am thinking about grabbing a pair when I head back to the states in 1.5 months. Only thing I want to hear about is the consensus on how things fit for those of you who have purchased these jeans before. I did a search and saw one guy mentioning that it was a tighter fit than he expected, is this how everyone felt even after breaking them in?

I am thinking about getting either the strait in size 34 or slim straight in size 35 (since they would stretch about an inch, right?). For reference, the 33 Bonobos travel denim fit fantastically, and 34 Levis 514 fit a bit too loose--should have probably grabbed the 33 and just had a few wears of tight jeans. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by andrew4h; May 24th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Sadly I cannot speak authoritatively about the fit since I have not received my pair yet, but they do have pretty comprehensive measurements on their fit guide. If you get out a tape measure & compare these measurements to your favorite pair of jeans, and take into account a small amount of stretch, that should help. I'd measure freshly washed jeans that fit a bit snug out of the wash, but perfectly after a bit of wear, as I find my jeans all loosen up a bit as I wear them. https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide

I too am a little nervous. I've seen a fair number of "these fit tight" posts, but I've also seen "these fit perfect" posts, and it's not clear to me if any of the people complaining of tight fit actually measured their jeans before ordering, or if they simply ordered their usual size. I do suspect the people who got a bad fit are more likely to speak up than those who got a good fit, because you know if the jeans fit just like you expected are you really going to go on the internet and say "hey these fit just like I expected!" The one person I have asked for feedback directly confirmed that they fit him about as he expected.

I'm gonna guess you want the 33 from Gustin, but really don't take my word for it. Measure up those Bonobos travel jeans and if it looks like you actually need a 32, or a 38, don't be scared by the number. Trust in the tape measure.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I would suggest a 34 from Gustin. I wear a 32 in other jeans and those are a bit lose. I ordered 32 in Gustin and they are pretty tight. I am wearing them all dayt today and I can feel a bit of stretch happening. I am thinking after today they will be better. If not I will wear them all day tomorrow too.

The waist is the only area wear they are really tight. The rest of the fit is spot on and pretty amazing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys. Bremersm, did you get the straight or slim? If straight, happy to hear that. I found my 514 too be slightly baggy (but this most likely is due to the waist being probably a size to big). I think I may go with the 34, ill measure out a couple pairs at home and see what looks best.

Also, anyone check out the new offerings--the natural looks really intriguing, but i feel like 13oz is too heavy for spring/summer. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    I would suggest a 34 from Gustin. I wear a 32 in other jeans and those are a bit lose. I ordered 32 in Gustin and they are pretty tight. I am wearing them all dayt today and I can feel a bit of stretch happening. I am thinking after today they will be better. If not I will wear them all day tomorrow too.

The waist is the only area wear they are really tight. The rest of the fit is spot on and pretty amazing.
    When you say "other jeans" what jeans do you usually wear? Because I usually wear Levis 501s, and I find the 34 waist in a 501 is generally a true 34", my gap straight cut 33s are also 34", and Bonobos Straight cut 34s are 36" (way too baggy). According to Gustin's measurements the 33 is the one with the 34" waist. So based on my experience with other jeans I actually decided to size down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I ordered 32 slim (The Original) and I normally wear 32x34 pants. I have D1's and LEC 608's so I'll chime in once I get them. Supposedly I'll get them this month, but at this point I'm a little skeptical. I'd like to get them soon so I can figure out if I got the sizing right and possibly order another pair. I really like the Super Light available currently (I'd like to be able to wear the jeans year round).

The Natural is neat, but I don't see myself wearing white jeans very much. 12.75 oz might be fine for the <80 degree days. At least I hope so since The Original I bought is 12 oz and I hope to be able to wear them when they get here. I'm not really sure what the point of raw white jeans is though. I thought part of the appeal of raw denim was that it fades.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Andrew,
    I believe I ordered the straight fit. I am not one for skinny jeans. I have looked at the new offerings but I now own two nice pairs of jeans and that is more than enough for me since I only wear jeans once or twice a week. I am more excited about the button downs that they will be producing next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Man, Gustin's customer service is awesome. I emailed them asking about whether or not I needed to account for stretching in a pair of sanforized raw. I also asked him about whether I can measure against my 514s. The founder replied thusly:

It won't shrink at all, but expect the waist to stretch out about an inch as they break in.

Definitely measure your 514's and compare against our sizing chart - for reference I wear a 32 in Levi's 514's, and a very snug 33 or a comfortable 34 in Gustin straight.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Anyone have issues with not being able to get a different size inseam? Is the answer just to get them tailored?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post
    Anyone have issues with not being able to get a different size inseam? Is the answer just to get them tailored?
    You can (and should) also roll them. Might as well show off the selvage ID. You can hem them if you really want, but find a tailor who's known for working with denim.

I think that each waist size only comes with one inseam.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain