Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustin Jeans Fit Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @matt: Thanks for the info and pics. I'm wondering now if ordering the 34 for the Natural was a bad choice, but I guess we'll see. $80 isn't too much risk to find the right pair of jeans.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I am normally a 32 but ordered a 33 based on the recommendations and what I read in here. Hopefully they don't end up being too loose. I normally don't like to order clothes that I can't return, especially jeans.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DXLi View Post
    @matt: Thanks for the info and pics. I'm wondering now if ordering the 34 for the Natural was a bad choice, but I guess we'll see. $80 isn't too much risk to find the right pair of jeans.
    If you haven't compared the measurements of your best fitting jeans to the fit guide on their site yet, I suggest you do that. It's not too late to change your order.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I am normally a 32 but ordered a 33 based on the recommendations and what I read in here. Hopefully they don't end up being too loose. I normally don't like to order clothes that I can't return, especially jeans.
    I worried a lot like you guys did, because guys I assumed to be slimmer than me were ordering the same size and getting a good fit, but bodies are weird things, and as it turned out I did in fact order the correct size. I could have gone a little looser, but I think I got it in the sweet spot given stretch. I would trust your ruler and your own favorite jeans over other people's experience, because fitting clothes without trying them one is just so hard, and it's really individual.

The guys at Gustin have been great about communicating with customers both from my personal experience and what I've witnessed on Twitter and Facebook, and on their own website community forum. I understand it's a struggle to figure out how to make it work with their model but, they are working with customers to manage some sort of exchange if they wind up with the wrong fit. So if that happens email them directly, and they will help you out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm pretty worried about the fit of my pair with all the posts popping up about trades for a size larger. I measured a pair of LEC chinos for fit, but I've never worn anything with significant stretch.
    Too late to change even if I wanted to since mine had a ship date of May so they should have been sent out last week or some time this week.

*Oh, and normally a 32x34 and ordered a 32. Measuring all my pants seemed to be true to size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    thanks Mattface for the pics and description--it looks like a good fit. Sadly, I think Xeones25 is right and i may just miss the shipment--guess Ill have to wait until I am back fully in the states to try these guys out. Good luck to everyone who ordered them recently

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones25 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty worried about the fit of my pair with all the posts popping up about trades for a size larger. I measured a pair of LEC chinos for fit, but I've never worn anything with significant stretch.
    Too late to change even if I wanted to since mine had a ship date of May so they should have been sent out last week or some time this week.

*Oh, and normally a 32x34 and ordered a 32. Measuring all my pants seemed to be true to size.
    If you measured your pants and the waist was 32, and you ordered a 32, I'll be you'll be alright. There is always some manufacturing tolerance, but for the record my 33s came in at slightly less than 34" out of the bag and this morning I measured the waist after wearing for a day and a half at slightly more than 35" The fit guide says a 32 is actually 32.5" at the waist, I would trust that it's not much less than 32" and that it'll stretch a bit.

Looks like we'll be seeing quite a few more pair shipping this week. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing others initial impressions as they come in.
    Last edited by mattface; June 5th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got a pair recently, and it fit exactly as I expected based on the measurements they provided. If they're anything like other raw denim brands, they'll stretch a ton in the top block.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So I've been looking at some other sites and a lot of talk about the selvedge jeans really got me thinking that I'm not totally happy with my Levi fit. I do like my Lucky Jeans but the downside to Lucky's, they lack a really classic dark pair. So I decided to jump into the world of Selvedge. I've always been curios about the unnamed brand from Nordstorms but a thread from another forum on jeans kinda changed my mind about those since quality doesn't sound like it's really there. There's a lot of talk about Gustin and I remember seeing a thread here about it. After reading and seeing Matt's post, I've jumped in with both feet and ordered the classic and the lightweight version. I see why everyone's nervous about sizes so I hope my gamble pays off. I should know sometime in July...

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So I saw the review from another site regarding the sizes and it suggests going up or staying TTF. If staying TTF, a person should be prepared for a tight break-in period. Anybody have anything to elaborate on that? The pics of Matt on here and on Gustins site look like they are a really good fit and form Matt's recommendation alone I should stick to TTF. But a lot of stuff out there says if you're not use to a sight fit and a break-in, go up. I'm nervous since the #49 is about to close out (probably today) and I'm a 32 in Levis and Lucky but due to my weight loss the 32s are a tad loose but I can easily gain 7 pounds by simply drinking water let alone barley-hop soda. I ordered 33s in both the #37 and #49. I've never had raw denim so the stretch factor has my confused.

http://fromsqualortoballer.com/post/...1/gustinreview
    Last edited by ajk170; June 8th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
    So I saw the review from another site regarding the sizes and it suggests going up or staying TTF. If staying TTF, a person should be prepared for a tight break-in period. Anybody have anything to elaborate on that? The pics of Matt on here and on Gustins site look like they are a really good fit and form Matt's recommendation alone I should stick to TTF. But a lot of stuff out there says if you're not use to a sight fit and a break-in, go up. I'm nervous since the #49 is about to close out (probably today) and I'm a 32 in Levis and Lucky but due to my weight loss the 32s are a tad loose but I can easily gain 7 pounds by simply drinking water let alone barley-hop soda. I ordered 33s in both the #37 and #49. I've never had raw denim so the stretch factor has my confused.

http://fromsqualortoballer.com/post/...1/gustinreview
    Out of the bag, they were tighter than my usual fit, but those pics were taken the same night after wearing for a few hours which included a 10 mile bike ride, and they were already breaking in well. They were still a bit tight across the hip for a day or two. After less than a week, they have broken in just about perfectly. Your mileage may vary, I suspect the time to get them to stretch may have a lot to do with your level of activity, I ride a bike every day, and am pretty densely muscled so the break-in for me has been pretty fast. Most of my jeans tend to loosen up a little too much for my tastes after a few days of wear. My hope is that sizing these as I did, they'll stay in the sweet spot. So far so good!

I would recommend ordering true to size, but ignore the size tag number and order based upon the measurements of your best fitting jeans. I suspect most people getting a poor fit ordered based upon the size they usually wear on the brand they usually wear, and sizing is so inconsistent, even among different models in the same brand, that just doesn't work. It really IS tough to get the right size of things without trying them on first. I think having a fit chart that gives the the true measurements of a garment like Gustin does is really the best way to do it, and yet, most brands do not do that. I looked everywhere for a similar chart of Levis for instance and it's just not our there, Gap doesn't do it. Bonobos has a similar chart they have sent me, but for some bizarre reason they don't have it on their website. For a brand obsessed with fit that only sells online, that makes no sense to me. Fortunately Bonobos offers really easy exchanges, because I had to send stuff back and forth a lot to eventually get a good fit from them.

Anyway, to bottom-line it for you, I think if you want a good snug fit from your Gustins go to the tight end of what you can fit into, because they will stretch out in pretty short order. If you can get them closed, and you can bear to wear them that way, you'll be rewarded in time with great fit.