Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts Wingtip Suede - Possible Other Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Thoughts Wingtip Suede - Possible Other Suggestions?

I apologize if I violate any forums rules as this is my first post and I'm pretty new to the site.

I'm looking to broaden my shoe collection and I've come across two different wingtip suede shoes that I like. They are:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...D81%26spc%3D19

http://www.zappos.com/to-boot-new-yo...fcTest=fcl%3A0

I was hoping for some thoughts on either of the shoes and whether or not they would be good buys. If not, any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I would avoid both of those. I really like suede wingtips but would urge you the direction of the various suede wingtips offered by Allen Edmonds. The Boss Black ones are significantly overpriced, and the TBNY ones are unattractive with the burnishing on the toe and heel. I have the snuff suede Players by Allen Edmonds and love them.

You can email freeport@allenedmonds.com with your size and shoe width and they will send you a list of available seconds in your size. Those are generally a good deal.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I don't really like the shape of the first one. Also, it seems to want to straddle the line between short wing and long wing in an unflattering way. And I'm not familiar with the brand, but I have to believe that's overpriced.

As for the second, I really dislike the burnishing. I generally don't like burnished suede, but here it's way too overdone and just makes the shoes look kinda worn out.

The good news is that for those prices (or close to it), you can get some pretty nice, well-made shoes. Check out, for example, the Allen Edmonds suede Neumok. I just bought a pair of seconds for around $160 and you can probably find them for close to that price on ebay and they are REALLY nice.

If you want to pay a lot less but have a similar look, check out the "no string wings" by Florsheim - they are pretty cheap and they won't last forever, but they aren't bad looking. Just keep in mind that you'll want to put laces in them (it's optional, but for my money, not really).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    A few points...

Unless you're already familiar with how a particular brand fits you, I would suggest trying some shoes on in-store, unless you don't mind returning via mail.

As for the shoes you listed, they are both so/so, but highly specific. Are all your other shoe bases covered yet? If not, you can probably find a pair of wingtips that will both meet your requirements and provide you the versatility to close any wardrobe gaps you might have. If you're already all "shoed up", then either above are ok. (Not a fan of how dark the second one is.)

That being said, I shy away from BOSS shoes. They have style, but I've never been convinced that their quality and durability match their asking price.

It's also worth noting that there are wingtips for every season, and some pass between seasons more easily than others depending on color, shape, and material. I'm assuming we're looking for something springy/summery?
    Last edited by alan; May 17th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I don't really like the shape of the first one. Also, it seems to want to straddle the line between short wing and long wing in an unflattering way. And I'm not familiar with the brand, but I have to believe that's overpriced.

As for the second, I really dislike the burnishing. I generally don't like burnished suede, but here it's way too overdone and just makes the shoes look kinda worn out.

The good news is that for those prices (or close to it), you can get some pretty nice, well-made shoes. Check out, for example, the Allen Edmonds suede Neumok. I just bought a pair of seconds for around $160 and you can probably find them for close to that price on ebay and they are REALLY nice.

If you want to pay a lot less but have a similar look, check out the "no string wings" by Florsheim - they are pretty cheap and they won't last forever, but they aren't bad looking. Just keep in mind that you'll want to put laces in them (it's optional, but for my money, not really).
    I second the Neumoks, they have become my goto shoe.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Ditto what a lot of people said about the TBNY's; the burnishing just makes them look like they're wet or dirty to me, heh.

I don't ditto the need to only go with AE, though, but you're in the $200 stratosphere so you should be able to find a solid shoe if you keep looking, IMO.

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Agree with what has been stated thus far about both Allen Edmonds and the choices you offered. What are you going to be wearing these with? Jeans? Chinos? A suit or dress pants? Alll of the above? That info would be very helpful.

I'd like to submit a few more that are in your roughly $200 price range....

Not suede but nice and similar looking...http://www.rockport.com/mens-shoes/c...a-001b2166becc

Jcrew....http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...FYF7QgodkRsA4A
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The first one is very clean looking to me stylewise. I generally prefer a longwing style like that in a suede shoe especially in lighter colors. My favorite suede wing is the Allen Edmonds Neumok though I heart the ones with the red laces.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    if youre ready to spend that much i say make the final jump to AE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
    if youre ready to spend that much i say make the final jump to AE