Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Brothers AE owners: how do you like the different insole and outsole?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Brooks Brothers AE owners: how do you like the different insole and outsole?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a few of these seconds since they are $40-50 cheaper than than the regular seconds (which are also well priced). A couple of questions:

Does the insole hold up well?
    Does the look or feel of the outsole bother you?
    Do you feel these are of lesser value than the standard AE's?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I have 3 pairs of AEs, 2 of which are Brooks Brothers models (strand and fifth avenue). I honestly can't tell the difference with the insoles, and the outsoles don't bother me at all. In fact, I kind of like the sole protectors. They provide great traction out of the box and give me peace of mind if I have to walk out in the rain, over a salted parking lot, etc. they feel and sound like a regular leather sole too. I haven't noticed a step down in quality at all... I would definitely recommend giving them a try for the price! The Jeffersonville outlet usually has some of these in stock at great prices, and I bought mine during the Soles for Souls promotion... Felt like a steal to me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrown View Post
    I honestly can't tell the difference with the insoles, and the outsoles don't bother me at all. In fact, I kind of like the sole protectors. They provide great traction out of the box and give me peace of mind if I have to walk out in the rain, over a salted parking lot, etc.
    Exactly how I feel. I'd take the BB version over the standard version any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    they are great. no preference one way or the other.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Another question: do you wear the same size in both versions?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwest View Post
    Another question: do you wear the same size in both versions?
    Yes. You're overthinking this. There really isn't much of a difference besides the rubber on the sole.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Got my BB Strands in today. Love em. And i can definitely feel the different sole, much softer from the start. The rubber on the bottom is a nice touch, i'm not too afraid to take these out on a rainy walk to my car.

With that said. Now what am I going to do with these Walnut Hale's...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Yes. You're overthinking this. There really isn't much of a difference besides the rubber on the sole.
    Unfortunately i am unable to try on the BB version as they don't have my size locally and I read somewhere on SF that the poron insole adds some extra height and decreases the volume so i was curious as to whether anyone had to size up.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    I'd prefer the BB with the little added rubber for tile etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwest View Post
    Unfortunately i am unable to try on the BB version as they don't have my size locally and I read somewhere on SF that the poron insole adds some extra height and decreases the volume so i was curious as to whether anyone had to size up.
    @jwest - I don't know if you're overthinking it; I have a pair of regular Strands and a pair of Brooks Brothers Fifth Avenues; both of which are on the 5-last. I have the same size in both, 9D, but noticed a difference with the BB Fifth Ave Poron insole. It fits much closer than my Strands, but in a good way.

If my regular Strands were very tight, I'd have concern over whether the BB would fit; but if you have a little wiggle room, don't sweat it.