Thread: The Seasonality of Suede

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)

Question The Seasonality of Suede

I'm a sucker for suede shoes in any shade. Sometimes, I have trouble understanding their supposed seasonality. Don't get me wrong - suede looks great with autumn/winter outfits. Also, I've got no problem with beige/taupe/natural suede being a spring/summer shade; that makes sense. I get caught up on the darker shades, specifically snuff and dark brown. Snuff suede is very close in shade to walnut/tan calf, just as dark brown suede is close to dark brown calf. To some extent, walnut calf is associated with warmer weather. Dark brown calf, to my knowledge, spans all four seasons. Why then are the analogous suedes restricted to cooler weather?

None of this will stop me wearing suede regardless of the season, but I'm curious what others think.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I don't know the proper answer to this but I would guess it has to do with the fact that suede breathes easier than leather so it's preferable for warmer weather. Also with suede, you have to take a bit more precautions to protect it from bad weather like rain and snow so people avoid it in the winter. Those are just guesses.
    Last edited by Vicious49; May 9th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say suede's seasonality has to do with its susceptibility to damage from inclement weather. Suede is most commonly worn in the summer because that's when you tend to get the least precipitation (in most climates). People would (and do) wear it year-round otherwise. As for color, I'd say that suede shoes basically follow the same rule as calf shoes, except that lighter-colored suedes usually can't be worn after summer because they used to be so damn hard to keep clean. Darker shades hide stains better, so I'd bet that people just got used to seeing the darker shades more than the lighter shades come autumn.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain