Thread: Thoughts/Reviews on Everlane products

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)

Thoughts/Reviews on Everlane products

I recently started looking in to Everlane due to a recommendation Fred made about their t-shirts. I tried finding review of their items and some are easy to find and others, not so much. There is an almost 200 page thread about Everlane on styleforum.net but good luck sifting through all that. I figured I would start a thread here where we could share our thoughts on their products and perhaps post some reviews. Since people will inevitably post their links, I figure I might as well get it started. Why shouldn't I get credit for it if it's my idea right? Disclaimer: I do get a $20 credit if you sign up through the following link, which will allow me to order a few more items and post some more reviews.
    https://www.everlane.com/n/oundhl

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    I thought I'd start the reviews off with the Snap Backpack. I purchased this in grey for $65. I placed the order Sunday night and the package arrived on Friday so about 5 days shipping time. My initial thoughts on the backpack were that it felt really sturdy and it had a lot of nice leather detailing throughout.

The canvas feels thicker and rougher to the touch then the waxed cotton that Filson uses in their bags. It doesn't seem like anything is going to rip through this bag very easily. It feels like it should develop some nice character over time. Just scratching across it with my fingernail, I could see a trail of a lighter shade left on the canvas. There are also some very nice leather details everywhere - the ends of the straps, the handle at the top, the cinch tie at the top, even around the inner pocket zipper. I can't really speak to the durability of this leather since I just got this in the mail yesterday. I've read reviews that it's cheap and starts to separate over time and I've read statements from Everlane saying they've improved the quality of the leather since the first batch of the bags that came out about a year ago. I can say that the leather feels decent enough and I love the dark brown color they chose to use.

I've included some pics of how it looks from the front and back when it's filled with a 13" laptop and a 4.5" stack of books and what it looks like when I'm wearing that so you can get an idea of the size of it.

Like I said, I put my 13" Vaio in the laptop compartment and a 4.5" stack of books in there and still had room to spare. There was still about 3" of space above the laptop and 2" on the side so a 15" should be able to fit in there. There is a bit of padding on both sides of the laptop compartment - the inner wall and the wall which would go against your back when wearing it. There is an small inner pocket in the backpack that I had no idea about before purchasing it. As well as the small front pocket which can be seen in all the pics and it has a small pocket on either side of the bag for something small like a water bottle.

I was trying to decide between a Herschel Supply Co Little America backpack and this Everlane Snap backpack. I went with the Everlane because I found too many negative reviews about the Herschel bag not being durable enough and ripping after a short period of time. I'm glad I went with the Everlane because it feels nicer and sturdier than I could have imagined. The one negative about the Everlane bag is that it does look a little like a gorilla face. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Give me a few minutes and I'll have a review up of their t-shirts as well. The link once again to signup is:
    https://www.everlane.com/n/oundhl

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    That's a nice-looking backpack. I've been looking for a not-awful backpack to use while studying for the bar this summer (planning on walking to the library with my laptop and probably some books every day - I don't think a briefcase or messenger bag is going to cut it in terms of comfort). I wonder if my honking 17" HP would fit in that laptop slot.
    Ben

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Next up is the Everlane V neck tee. $15 seemed kind of steep to me for a plain t-shirt. It's a basic t-shirt an they're all the same right? I should mention that Everlane has free shipping if you order 2 or more items so that helped in convincing me to give it a shot. If I had to pay added shipping costs I most likely would have skipped it.

My first impression of the shirt is that it is very soft. I was wearing my JCrew Factory shirt today and the Everlane shirt is much softer/smoother. I tried it on and the wife immediately loved the fit. Here's pics of it right out of the box. It should be mentioned that I am 5' 8" about 160-165 lbs with a 40" chest and 32" waist. The chest has decreased a bit since I haven't been lifting at all for the past year.

I wanted to see how much it shrank so I tossed it in the washer on warm water and then in the dryer or medium heat. It did seem to shrink a bit. Here's pics of it straight out of the dryer. I assure you it is the same shirt even though it appears much darker. We ran out of natural light so this one is not as bright.

It fits even better now. Here's a side by side of the prewash and postwash. The actual color of the shirt is somewhere in between the 2 but leaning a bit more towards the darker side.

I think I'm sold. The shirt fits great and is very soft to the touch. It is $15 but they only make them in about 6-7 different colors and I don't want all of them so it shouldn't be that expensive. I figure it's better to have 3-4 nice t-shirts that fit properly than to continually spend $7-$8 on cheaper ones and not be as happy with them. I am curious to find out if their white tee is see through or not. I've read varying reviews on them. Part of the problem is that Everlane is continually improving their products so if something isn't as good in an earlier batch, they will try to change it for the next batch.

Also, I was wearing a JCrew Factory slim fit tee today and I compared the Everlane to it postwash. They are the same length but the Everlane shirt is about 1" narrower in the body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    what size shirt did you order from everlane in these pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What size did you order on the shirt?

What size Everlane shirt did you order?

QUOTE=Vicious49;111861]Next up is the Everlane V neck tee. $15 seemed kind of steep to me for a plain t-shirt. It's a basic t-shirt an they're all the same right? I should mention that Everlane has free shipping if you order 2 or more items so that helped in convincing me to give it a shot. If I had to pay added shipping costs I most likely would have skipped it.

My first impression of the shirt is that it is very soft. I was wearing my JCrew Factory shirt today and the Everlane shirt is much softer/smoother. I tried it on and the wife immediately loved the fit. Here's pics of it right out of the box. It should be mentioned that I am 5' 8" about 160-165 lbs with a 40" chest and 32" waist. The chest has decreased a bit since I haven't been lifting at all for the past year.

I wanted to see how much it shrank so I tossed it in the washer on warm water and then in the dryer or medium heat. It did seem to shrink a bit. Here's pics of it straight out of the dryer. I assure you it is the same shirt even though it appears much darker. We ran out of natural light so this one is not as bright.

It fits even better now. Here's a side by side of the prewash and postwash. The actual color of the shirt is somewhere in between the 2 but leaning a bit more towards the darker side.

I think I'm sold. The shirt fits great and is very soft to the touch. It is $15 but they only make them in about 6-7 different colors and I don't want all of them so it shouldn't be that expensive. I figure it's better to have 3-4 nice t-shirts that fit properly than to continually spend $7-$8 on cheaper ones and not be as happy with them. I am curious to find out if their white tee is see through or not. I've read varying reviews on them. Part of the problem is that Everlane is continually improving their products so if something isn't as good in an earlier batch, they will try to change it for the next batch.

Also, I was wearing a JCrew Factory slim fit tee today and I compared the Everlane to it postwash. They are the same length but the Everlane shirt is about 1" narrower in the body.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    BenR - I'm thinking a 17" won't fit. The inner width of the laptop compartment is approximately 10.5". If your laptop is any wider than that, it's not going to fit. It should still fit in the bigger compartment. Although not sure if that's something you'd be willing to live with. But yeah, for $65 I spent, it feels like I got a bargain. I won't be using it as much for carrying laptops or books though. My main purpose it to carry food, water bottles, sweaters, an SLR, and anything else we might take along when I take my wife sightseeing, traveling, etc.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    I instinctively distrust any vendor that makes me create an account and hand over my email address before showing me what they have to sell. If I have to create an account before they let me see their goods, I assume they have more interest in selling my info, than they do their "products", and that email addresses of potential consumers is in fact their real product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I reviewed their new belts here, if anyone is interested: http://thepeaklapel.tumblr.com/post/...wappable-belts

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devirkahan View Post
    I reviewed their new belts here, if anyone is interested: http://thepeaklapel.tumblr.com/post/...wappable-belts
    Thanks for that. I couldn't find a review of their belts anywhere. They look nice but with them being 1", that's way too thin. The 1.25" are a bit more workable. Not sure why you'd make a mens belt 1" unless it's meant to be a dress belt.